Holistic treatment views addiction as the product of how a person functions as a whole. The holistic model of treatment says that factors from all areas of a person’s circumstances, personality and background come together to contribute to addictive behaviors. It seeks to treat addiction by eliminating all of these factors.
Holistic treatment includes:
- Group therapy. Recovering addicts need to strengthen their social skills and feel a sense of belonging.
- Individual therapy. Privacy offers the chance to delve into and resolve personal issues.
- Nutritional and fitness therapy. Good nutrition and exercise aid physical and mental recovery.
- Alternative therapies. Acupuncture, yoga, massage, meditation and other alternative therapies help recovering addicts build coping skills.
- Life skills training. Life skills help recovering addicts navigate daily life competently and achieve lasting independence.
- Aftercare. Quality programs provide an ongoing therapy option to help the person through at least the first year of recovery.