West Jordan is a well-known and popular city in Salt Lake County, Utah, in the United States. West Jordan is actually a rapidly growing suburb and supporting town of the greater city of Salt Lake City and has a mixed economy and set of demographics. According to the 2010 Census, the city had a population of 103,712, placing it as the fourth most populous in the entire state. The city geographically occupies the southwest end of the Salt Lake Valley at an elevation of 4,330 feet. The city is named after the nearby Jordan River, and the limits of the city begin on the river's western bank and end in the eastern foothills of the Oquirrh Mountains, where Kennecott Copper Mine, the largest man-made excavation in the entire world, is located.
As for its history, the town of West Jordan was settled in the mid-19th century. Since then the city has developed into its own regional center. For example, as of 2012, the city has had four major retail centers set up shop with Jordan Landing being one of the largest mixed-use planned developments in the Intermountain West. Companies headquartered in West Jordan include Mountain America Credit Union, Lynco Sales & Service, SME Steel, and Cyprus Credit Union. The city also has one major hospital, Jordan Valley Medical Center, and a campus of Salt Lake Community College, which is designed to become the main campus by the year 2020.
Drug Addiction and Substance Abuse Running Rampant in West Jordan
Drug addiction and substance abuse has been on the rise immensely in the city of West Jordan. This is a blue collar, middle class working town. With the largest man-made mine in the world nearby, the vast amount of the populace are blue collar workers and middle class families. The economy of this city has held true and strong year after year, and wherever good economies go so do follow drug and alcohol abuse and addiction.
This has been the lot of life of West Jordan of late, and the effects have been disastrous. Without a doubt, this city may very well be on the verge of a total meltdown if something is not done soon to rectify the very grave situation.
Key Points of the Addiction Crisis
The best way to thoroughly understand a drug and alcohol addiction issue in any given area is through a careful study of the facts and statistics connected with that specific problem. Thankfully the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, (NSDUH), along with the National Institute on Drug Abuse, (NIDA), all worked together to put together facts and statistics on the exact extent of the drug and alcohol problem in West Jordan and in the entire state of Utah as a whole. Listed below are just a few of their findings:
• As a direct consequence of drug use, a full 546 persons died in Utah in 2007. This number is sadly far more than the total number of persons in Utah who died from motor vehicle accidents (only a mere 320) and firearms (just 253) in the same year.
• Utah’s drug-induced deaths (over 20 per 100,000 population) exceeds by far the national rate of 12 per 100,000.
• Stimulant drugs (including drugs like crystal methamphetamine), followed by marijuana and
heroin, are the most commonly cited drugs among primary drug treatment admissions in
• Drug abuse and alcohol abuse is becoming more and more prevalent in the United States and in Utah in particular. According to various national substance abuse authorities like the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, (SAMHSA), National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, (NIAAA), and the Trust for America's Health, (TAH), more than a full seven million Americans experienced both substance abuse and mental health problems in the year 2013. These numbers are even worse in Utah.
• Alcohol abuse amongst minors is also a major issue in the state of Utah. Almost 19 percent of students here said they had consumed alcohol at some point in their lives, according to a prevention needs assessment released by the Utah Department of Human Services on Tuesday.
How to Beat a Drug Habit in West Jordan
For those addicted in West Jordan, the only real answer to their addiction crisis lies in a path through an inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment and rehabilitation center, program, or facility. Only in this type of center will a West Jordan addict be able to receive exactly all of the special types of detoxification services and counseling and therapy methods that he or she needs to beat his or her drug habit fully without seriously negative consequences and risks of relapse.
The Pleasantries of West Jordan
West Jordan is a beautiful town. The city has some of the nicest parks and nicest neighborhoods in all of Utah. It is frankly an excellent place to beat a drug or alcohol habit, and with the rehab settings and facilities available and nearby, this is a very do-able task. One should not balk at the idea of going to rehab, and if one has family members or friends who want to visit him or her in rehab in West Jordan, then the city can be very accommodating for visitors.