Elevate Addiction Services – SLT
586 Glorene Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150, USA California
• Don't attempt to punish, threaten, bribe, or preach to them.
• Don't try to be a martyr with your loved one. Avoid emotional appeals that may only increase feelings of guilt and the compulsion to drink or use other drugs and really go over the edge.
• Don't cover up or make excuses for the alcoholic or problem drinker or shield them from the realistic consequences of their behavior that have an effect on all involved.
• Don't take over their responsibilities, leaving them with no sense of importance or dignity at all.
• Don't hide or dump bottles, throw out drugs, or shelter them from situations where alcohol is present. Don’t enable them.
• Don't argue with the person when they are impaired, as this will accomplish nothing.
• Don't try to drink along with the problem drinker in an attempt to create, “solidarity”.
• Above all, don't feel guilty or responsible for another's behavior. No matter how bad it is, it’s not your fault.The truth of the matter is that you cannot force someone you love to stop abusing alcohol or taking drugs. As much as you may want to do this, and as hard as it is to watch them ruin their lives, you cannot make someone stop drinking or abusing drugs. Susanville has a very strong family community, but the choice is still up to them. Don’t expect your loved one to stop drinking and doing drugs and stay sober without the help of a rehab center or program. Your loved one will need treatment, support, and new coping skills to overcome a serious drinking problem without a doubt, and this help starts with you talking to them and ends with them going to a rehab center. Recovery is an ongoing process, even for those recovering in Susanville. Recovery is a bumpy road to say the least, and it requires time and patience to effectively address it. An alcoholic will not magically become a different person once sober at all. All of the problems that led to the alcohol abuse and drug abuse in the first place will have to be faced, which is why now more so than ever rehab is important in Susanville.