The City of Porterville, California in Review and in Summary
Porterville is a well-known and popular city in the San Joaquin Valley, in Tulare County, in the state of California, in the United States. It is part of the Visalia-Porterville metropolitan statistical area and ranks in at being one of the most affluent and successful bedroom communities in that area.
Since its initial incorporation in 1902, the city's population has grown dramatically as it annexed nearby unincorporated areas into itself. The city's July 2014 population, (not including East Porterville) was estimated at 55,466 all in all.
Porterville serves as a gateway to a vast mountain wonderland and recreational area of the Sequoia National Forest, the Giant Sequoia National Monument and Kings Canyon National Parks, which is part of what has made this area so popular. The city sees a lot of visitors and part time residents as a result of this.
Facts and Statistics about the Drug Problem in the United States
To better understand the addiction issues that are affecting not only Porterville, but the entire nation in fact, some key facts and statistics have been included below:
• It was found recently that there are more than twenty-five million Americans who are grievously and maddeningly addicted to drugs and alcohol. This number represents more than ten percent of the American population over the age of twelve. The fact of the matter is that drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general have now become a major epidemic and a veritable nightmare for many who are so afflicted in the United States.
• From the years between 1999 to 2008, the overdose death rates, the sales and the average substance use disorder treatment admissions in general that were related to prescription pain relievers increased in an exponential way. For example, the overdose death rate in the year of 2008 was nearly four times that of the 1999 rate. To add to it, the sales of prescription pain relievers in the year of 2010 were four times of those in the year of 1999; and the substance use disorder treatment admission rate in the year of 2009 was a staggering six times the 1999 rate.
Rehabilitation: The Final Solution for those Addicted in Porterville
In a lot of ways, drug and alcohol addiction and the general problem of substance abuse has begun to make a significant impact on the city of Porterville and the surrounding areas. Since the turn of the century this issue has been increasing here, but it has only been in the last few years that it has advanced from a mere problem to a veritable and full on crisis. Many of the residents of Porterville have become pretty worried about this, and not without good reason. Drug and alcohol addiction has adversely affected Porterville in multiple ways. For example:
1. Educational success has plummeted in Porterville. This area went from being one of the most well-educated in the state to one of the worst. Researchers believe that this is because of substance abuse amongst the city’s youth.
2. Accidents have been occurring a lot more often and with much more dire of consequences than ever before in Porterville. These could be anything from car accidents to work accidents to accidents at the home to slip and falls and everything in between. Again, researchers believe that a lot of this has to do with substance abuse.
3. The economy is all but crashing in Porterville. A lot of this has been result of increasing drug and alcohol abuse which has caused employment ratings to suffer greatly. Ultimately, a lot of people in Porterville have lost their jobs because of this.
4. Drug and alcohol addiction is no stranger to Porterville and the areas around it. However, the stranger here is just how intensive and permeating drug and alcohol addiction is for these residents of this city. It has never been this bad before, and if something is not done about it then the issue will only increase to that of a city-wide epidemic.
This is where inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment centers, detox facilities, rehab programs, and recovery organizations. With programs like these truly anyone who is addicted to drugs and alcohol can beat their habits once and for all.
• At an inpatient program one with get fully and thoroughly detoxed. This entails a lot of physical therapy and physical focuses to make sure that all of the drugs and alcohols are out of the person’s system and he or she is no longer craving them.
• At an inpatient rehab program one will get fully and thoroughly rehabilitated. This entails a very extensive and involved course of action in which one will inevitably receive probably more counseling, therapy, and one-on-one sessions in this short period of time than he or she will ever receive in his or her life. This truly is effective.
Inpatient rehab is what is needed in Porterville. With the help of rehabilitation programs here, those addicted can finally win the battle against addiction. It’s time that those addicted there rise up and take their lives back.