Pomona is the fifth largest city in Los Angeles County, California, ranking itself in as a major player in the greater Los Angeles area. Pomona is located in the Pomona Valley, between the Inland Empire and the San Gabriel Valley. As of the 2010 United States Census Bureau’s report, the city's population was 149,058.
Pomona’s economy has surged in the last several decades, and this in part has helped the population growth too in key neighborhoods. For example, since the 1980s, Pomona's newest neighborhood Phillips Ranch, experienced rapid growth with homes still being built in the hilly area between Downtown and Diamond Bar. Today, Phillips Ranch is nearly all residential, and with almost all new residents. Northern Pomona has seen some gentrification with additional housing units added and revamped street scapes. Pomona Electronics was originally based in the city.
Another unique thing about Pomona is that religious institutions are deeply embedded in the history of the city of Pomona. There are now more than 120 churches, representing most religions in today's society. The historical architecture of these churches provide glimpses of the European church design and architecture from other eras as well.
Addiction: A Serious Issue in Pomona Today
Sadly, drug addiction and substance abuse is now a very, very serious issue in the city of Pomona just like it is in many other cities in California and in other states as well. This is a relatively new issue, only occurring since the turn of the century or so. Sadly though, Pomona has had little experience with drug addiction and substance abuse so the city council and governing bodies has not really known how to handle or address the situation exactly.
Synthetic marijuana, opiate prescription drugs, heroin, crack, and meth are the most commonly found drugs that are being pushed on the hands of Pomona’s residents, particularly Pomona’s youth. it is feared that, if something is not done soon for Pomona, then the city may indeed experience a full on addiction epidemic.
Facts and Statistics: Real World Data on The U.S. Addiction Crisis and Epidemic
To better understand the crisis in Pomona and in other similar cities all across the united States, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, (SAMHSA), the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, (NSDUH), the National Institute on Drug Abuse, and the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, (CDC), all worked together to best compile facts, statistics, and information on the issue. Listed below are just a few of the findings of these projects that also apply to Pomona’s situation:
• Corrective and preventative measures do work when used quickly and effectively. Various mental health intervention initiatives, including school-based programs that target cognitive, problem-solving, and social skills of children and adolescents, have been found to reduce depressive symptom levels by 50 percent or more, just one year after the intervention.
• Only a third of all parents actually discuss the risks of abusing prescription medicines with their kids, and it has been found that those kids who already know about the dangers involved are far less at risk than those kids who know nothing of the dangers.
• The abuse of tobacco, alcohol, and illicit drugs is costly to our Nation overall, exacting more than a staggering $700 billion annually in costs related to crime, lost work productivity, and health care overall.
• Sadly and unfortunately, every 25 minutes a baby is born already suffering from opioid withdrawal as a result of a mother who was abusing opiates while pregnant.
• In the year 2009 alone, a saddening 1 in 3 drivers killed in car crashes tested positive for drugs in their systems.
Rehabilitation: How to Beat the Addiction Trap in Pomona, California
For those who are struggling with addiction in Pomona, there is really only one sure, clear, and obvious, and fool proof solution for them, and that is a course through an inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment center, rehabilitation program, detox facility, and recovery organization. Only with these types of programs can the residents of Pomona who are severely addicted get the help that they truly need to once and for all beat drug and alcohol addiction.
Inpatient rehab centers offer stellar detox services that can help addicted residents of Pomona to come down off of whatever drugs are in their systems safely and effectively. Once this is done, inpatient rehab centers also offer really powerful rehabilitative services to assist an individual with banishing all of the mental and psychological aspects of addiction from his or her mind. It is true that any addict in Pomona has a chance at going free from addiction, and rehabilitation can be the guiding hand that makes that happen.