About the City and the Surrounding Areas of Culver City
Culver City is a popular and often sought after city in Los Angeles County, in the state of California, in the United States of America. The city was named after its founder, Harry Culver. As of the 2010 census, as reported by the United States Census Bureau, the city had a population of 38,883. It is mostly surrounded by the city of Los Angeles but also shares a border with unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County as well. Over the years, considering its incorporated status, over forty annexations of adjoining areas have occurred to build on the city’s strength. As a result, the city now comprises approximately five square miles all in all.
As for its economy, since the 1920s, Culver City has been a significant center for motion picture and later television production, best known as the home of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studios. It was also the headquarters for the Hughes Aircraft Company from 1932 to 1985 also. National Public Radio West and Sony Pictures Entertainment now have headquarters in the city too. The NFL Network studio is also based in Culver City for all to enjoy.
Facts and Statistics on Drug and Alcohol Abuse and Addiction in and Around Culver City
Sadly, there has been a marked increase in drug and alcohol abuse and addiction in and around Culver City. This is an area that has recently been heavily impacted by addiction, as has the nation for that matter. For example,
• Prescription drug abuse in the United States has come to be critical issues, particularly amongst young adults. For example, in 2005 four and a half million teenagers, (from the ages of 12 to 17), in the United States admitted to having taken prescription, opiate-based painkillers recreationally. More than two and a half million took a prescription stimulant such as Ritalin or Adderall recreationally. Well over two million such young adults abused over-the-counter drugs such as cough syrup.
• Sadly, Americans are abusing drugs at a much, much earlier age than they used to be. This particularly dangerous because when an adult abuses a drug for the first time, he or she can often stop right there. However, when an adolescent abuses a drug for the first time, odds are that he or she will become addicted to it. To highlight this, the average age for first-time users of drugs is now between thirteen and fourteen, instead of sixteen to seventeen like it was a decade ago.
• There are almost as many alcohol addicts in the United States than Americans who are addicted to all for the different types of drugs combined. There exist a full sixteen and a half million adults of the age of 18 and older that are legitimately afflicted with am alcohol addiction. This statistics includes an unfortunate and miserable 10.8 million men and 5.8 million women.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Solution for Addiction in and Around Culver City
A real crisis that has been occurring lately in the United States and in Culver City specifically has been with strong increases in drug and alcohol abuse, addiction, and substance abuse in general. The real problem here has been an alarming increase in youth drug and alcohol abuse, but all general areas and sectors of drug and alcohol abuse have gone up in one way or another. The result of this has been stark increases in deaths, in crime, in accidents, in theft, in violence, and in monetary costs exacted upon the American populace. For Culver City specifically, there has been few key, distinct occurrences:
1. Though few have died from drug or alcohol overdoses in Culver City, many have actually ODed. This has been a result of new and very disturbing drugs that have entered into the playing field here. There have been drugs like new strains of heroin, prescription drugs, and meth.
2. Youth substance abuse is at an all-time high in and around Culver City. Young adults are far more adversely affected by drug and alcohol abuse than older adults are, so the effects of this have been traumatizing and disturbing, to say the least.
3. Though Culver City is not necessarily a big city so to speak, it does happen to lie on some very key drug trafficking and trading transpiration lines. This has resulted in the simple truth of more drugs passing through this area than in other areas, which will, of course, equate to more substance abuse here.
In times like these when drug and alcohol abuse and addiction runs rampant and high, it is time for those who are addicted to consider their options for recovery and salvation. This can be found, but it takes time and it takes work. With inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment centers, detox facilities, rehab programs, and recovery organizations though anything can be accomplished along this line. It is just up to those addicted in and around Culver City to reach out grasp the help that is available to them with California rehabs.