Azusa is a well-known and popular city in the San Gabriel Valley, at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains in Los Angeles County, in the state of California, in the United States. The city is one of the fastest growing cities in the state by far. The city is a popular tourist destination too.
The population of the city was 46,361 at the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau, up from 44,712 at the 2000 census. Azusa is one of the pass through cities for the historical Route 66 on Foothill Boulevard and Alosta Avenue, and this makes it a popular tourist destination.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse and Addiction on the Rise in the City of Azusa
Sadly, as is the case for many other California towns all across the state, the city of Azusa has begun to experience significant increases in drug and alcohol abuse and addiction all across the city borders and in the surrounding areas as well. These are issues that have worsened more and more for the city as time has gone by, and the end result has been that much of the youth of the area has become addicted to drugs.
Facts and Statistics on Substance Abuse in the Nation and in California
Substance abuse is on the rise not only in Azusa and across the nation. For some facts and statistics on it:
• Addiction has skyrocketed all across the United States. One of the biggest problems is heroin abuse. Overdose deaths as a result of heroin abuse have increased by more than 500% since the turn of the century, and the numbers of individuals addicted to these drugs have increased by more than 300% since the turn of the century.
• Addiction has become a major issue with the young adult population of the United States. Since the turn of the century studies now show that adults between the ages of 16 and 22 are three times as likely to use a narcotic at least once while in this age group. Young adults are also twice as likely to die from substance abuse now as they were in the early 1990s.
• Drug addiction and substance abuse in general impacts more than just the individuals who take part in these activities themselves. Substance abuse also has a big impact on the families of those addicted. Studies now show that addiction is so prevalent in the United States that one out of every 10 Americans knows someone who is an addict and one out of every 25 Americans is intimately connected through familial ties with someone who is a substance abuser.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Solution for Those Addicted in and Around the City of Azusa
There is no doubt in anyone's mind that there is a pretty severe addiction nightmare when it comes to drug and alcohol abuse and substance abuse in general in Azusa. This is a problem that has been going on for some time now and has not really shown any sign of lessening or dropping off in any way at all. The crisis is a concern easily to say the least, and already Azusa has earned a name for itself as being a substance abuse hotspot. In times like these, many who live there have thrown their hands up in frustration in wonderment as to what can possibly be done to reverse the growing trend and dangerous situation there.
This is where long term rehabilitation centers come into play, specifically inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment centers, detox facilities, rehabilitation programs, and recovery organizations. With the help that programs like these provide quite literally anyone can beat a substance abuse problem no matter how severe or intense it is.
These programs help a lot and in many different ways. For example:
1. Detoxification. This is the route in which an individual is able to be relieved of all of the physical and chemical symptoms of drug and alcohol addiction. With detox, one will be brought down off of the substances that are in his or her system to the point where he or she is no longer chemically addicted to drugs and alcohol.
2. Rehabilitation. This is where the real work is done. With rehabilitation, one will receive lots of different types of counseling and therapy methods to fully address and eradicate all of the mental, psychological, and behavioral aspects of drug and alcohol addiction.
It is true enough that the issue of alcohol addiction definitely is a serious nightmare in Azusa. However this area does not need to suffer any more than it already is. With rehabilitation, those addict here can finally beat their drug habits once and for all and the city itself can finally improve as a result of it.