Laguna Woods is a pleasant city in Orange County, in the state of California, in the United States of America. The population of the city was 16,192 at the 2010 census (as reported by the United States Census Bureau) down from 16,507 at the 2000 census with a median age of 78 years old.
Laguna Woods is an ideal retirement city given its quaint, petite, and quiet and aesthetic nature. About a good ninety percent of the city consists of the infamous Laguna Woods Village, a retirement community, formerly known as Leisure World, and ranking in as one of the largest retirement communities in the entire area. Incorporation efforts for the city in the late years of the 1990s were largely driven by the need for residents to have a much stronger voice against the prospective construction of an international airport at the nearby decommissioned Marine Corps Air Station of El Toro. The airport proposal was eventually defeated and the land in question has been tabbed for development as the Orange County Great Park, of which construction should begin soon.
In the city of Laguna Woods, the median income for a household in the city was about $30,493, and the median income for a family was $46,889. Males had a median income of $56,563 versus $35,188 for females all in all. The per capita income for the city was $32,071. About 2.6% of families and 6.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including none of those under age 18 and 5.8% of those aged 65 or over. All of this combined shows that Laguna Woods is not only a pleasant place to live, but is middle class and upper class in terms of its economy too.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse Hits A City of Seniors
Unfortunately, drug and alcohol abuse and addiction has become a real problem for senior citizens in recent years in general. This is an issue that has gone on and on for a decade now, but it is only just getting nation-wide recognition this year. It is particularly a huge problem in Laguna Woods. For some statistics on senior citizen substance abuse in general:
• Senior citizen drug and alcohol abuse has become far more concerning and worrisome than it ever has been before.
• True enough, among adults of the ages of 50 to 64, the rate of current illicit drug use increased from 2.7 percent in the year of 2002 to 6.0 percent in the year of 2013.
• For adults of the age of 50 to 54, the rate increased from 3.4 percent in 2002 to 7.9 percent in 2013.
• Among those aged 55 to 59, the rate of current illicit drug use increased from 1.9 percent in the year of 2002 to 5.7 percent in the year of 2013.
• Among those aged 60 to 64 too, the rate of current illicit drug use increased from 1.1 percent in 2003 and 2004 to 3.9 percent in 2013.
• Sadly, senior citizen drug and alcohol abuse just keeps on going up and up and up.
Confronting Addiction in Laguna Woods
No one wants to end up having addiction strike either them or someone that they care about, but the truth is that is does happen a lot, and in Laguna Woods it happens all too often. If someone you care about has asked for your help and is ready and willing to do something about their addiction crisis, then he or she has taken an important first step and should be noted for it. If that person is resistant to help though, see if you can at least convince him or her to get an evaluation from a doctor or to sit down and have a talk about it. If they are unwilling even to do that, then you will need to have an intervention with them.
There are ways and methods for talking to addicts that can be successful. For example:
1. Really emphasize to your friend or loved one that it takes a very large amount of courage to seek help for a drug or alcohol substance abuse problem because there is a lot of hard work ahead. For every year that a person has been addicted, he or she will have to spend several years working hard to repair the damage done by the addiction.
2. There is a great and expansive deal of scientific evidence that treatment works, and people recover every day. Tell this to your loved one, and impress upon them that hundreds of thousands of Americans beat addiction every single year, and that they can too.
3. Like other chronic diseases, addiction can be managed successfully if the right management method is used. Tell them that rehab is the way to do something about it. Treatment enables people to counteract the powerfully disruptive effects of drugs on the brain and in their minds and hearts and spirits too, and treatment allows them to regain control of their lives.
Once you have your addicted loved one convinced to go to rehab, then it’s time to start calling rehab centers in California. Look outwards and away from home too, as traveling away from the negative environment of one’s home town will be more conducive to effective addiction recovery. Get the addict into treatment, and make sure that they stay for the duration of the program. Doing this will be the best way to beat addiction in Laguna Woods once and for all.