West Sacramento, (also known by the locals as West Sac), is a city in Yolo County, in the state of California, in the United States. It is contiguous with Sacramento, but is separated by the Sacramento River which is also the county line for the area, so West Sacramento is in a different county from that of Sacramento entirely. It is a fast-growing community; the population was at 48,744 at the 2010 census, up from only 31,615 at the 2000 census. The traditional industrial center of the region since the Gold Rush era, West Sacramento is home to a diverse economy and is one of the area's top four employment centers too.
The United States Conference of Mayors named West Sacramento as the Most Livable City in America in 2014 in the category of cities with fewer than 100,000 residents, and this naming will undoubtedly draw more residents to the area. West Sacramento is now part of the Sacramento–Arden Arcade–Roseville Metropolitan Statistical Area which has a population (2000) of approximately 1,796,857. Major industries to the region include agriculture, government, and transportation, but tourism is now becoming popular here too.
Drug and Alcohol Addiction on the Rise in West Sacramento and the Nation
Sadly, drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general has been on the rise for some time now and in a big way too. Drug and alcohol abuse is now the third leading cause of preventable deaths in the nation and it is also responsible for over forty percent of traffic fatalities and more than eighty percent of all crime. For example:
• Factually, perhaps the worst aspect of drug and alcohol addiction in the United States today is the sheer number of overdoses that occur every year as a result of these abuses. Studies show that approximately 80,000 Americans lose their lives every year from alcohol addiction alone, and about 50,000 lose their lives as a result of drug addiction.
• More and more Americans keep becoming addicted to drugs and alcohol every year. For example, the year 2000 brought roughly 80,000 new drug addicts and 140,000 new alcoholics onto the scene. Last year, more than half a million Americans became addicted to drugs and alcohol. Unfortunately, the steady rise in the overall number of individuals in the United States who are addicted to drugs and alcohol is not mirrored by a rise in the numbers of individuals going to treatment for addiction.
Rehab Sought as a Solution to the Addiction Nightmare in West Sacramento
Drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general is a plague that lashes out across the nation and continues to affect more Americans on a vastly expanding scale. Since the turn of the century this has become an incredibly difficult problem and has shown no real sign of lessening or dropping down in severity at all. It is concerning to say the least, and some have ventured to say that the issue is now on the level of a serious epidemic. There is some truth to this, and a lot of fear and concerns exist that if something is not done soon for the addiction problem in West Sacramento in particular then yes indeed it will be turning into and becoming a micro epidemic for that area.
This is why it is so important for rehabilitation to be pursued as an active and potentially very helpful means of addressing this issue once and for all. With the help of an inpatient rehabilitation program, it is actually possible for those addicted in West Sacramento to make a complete turnaround and achieve a whole state of recovery and sobriety. Inpatient rehabilitation helps in a lot of ways in West Sacramento, and the following are just some of them:
• West Sacramento is experiencing really serious drug addiction problems particularly with the young adult population of the area. Young adults are specifically helped immensely by inpatient rehabilitation, as it really does take an inpatient program to get through to a young adult and rehabilitate him or her successfully. Other means of rehabilitation almost always never work on young adults.
• West Sacramento also suffers with addiction problems particularly concerning with the middle-class and upper middle-class of the area. These individuals also benefit greatly from going to inpatient programs as they often have some form of health insurance which will pay for most if not all of the program for them, making it much easier for them to go to the program in the first place.
• Most of the people who are addicted in West Sacramento are addicted to heroin, prescription drugs, or alcohol. These drugs all carry with them powerful chemical dependency issues and therefore require inpatient care just for the sake of making it safe for the individuals who are addicted to come down off of these drugs.
• There is a significant amount of crime and violence in and around West Sacramento as a result of all of the drug addiction. Inpatient rehabilitation programs also offer outreach services to support grassroots community efforts to clean up the city to make it better and safer for all who live there. This too is very beneficial for West Sacramento.
In the end, drug and alcohol addiction has far-reaching consequences for more people than those who are just themselves addicted to these substances. It is of the upmost importance now more so than ever that drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment centers, detox facilities, rehabilitation programs, and recovery organizations be supported and utilized as much as possible in West Sacramento so that this addiction nightmare here can finally end.