Elevate Addiction Services – SLT
586 Glorene Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150, USA California
• The non-medical use and abuse of pharmaceutical prescription drugs is a growing health problem in the United States in a big way. Annually, more people die from prescribed opioid pain relievers than all illegal drugs combined in fact, and this recurred year after year for some time.
• The very legal access to such drugs, combined with a culture of implicitly trusting a doctor’s opinion, have led to a sharp increase in emergency medicine visits attributable to prescription drugs of one kind or another.
• Prescription drug abuse may soon be the largest substance abuse problem in America if it foes the way it’s going, with ER visits due to prescription drug abuse approximately doubled in the 6 year period from 2004-2009.
• Overdoses on prescription drugs are also obviously the leading cause of drug overdose deaths in the United States by far. In 2012, there were 33,175 unintentional drug overdose deaths; 53% were linked to pharmaceutical use and abuse, (illicit and prescribed both).
• 72% of prescription drug deaths that are attributable to pharmaceuticals were related to opioids, indicating the tragic consequences of prescription, (and particularly opioid) misuse or abuse in this nation.