San Mateo is a well-known and popular city in San Mateo County, California, in the high-tech enclave of Silicon Valley in the San Francisco Bay Area of the United States. With a population ranking in at 97,207 as of the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau, it is one of the larger suburbs on the San Francisco Peninsula, located between Burlingame to the north, Foster City and San Francisco Bay to the east, Belmont to the south, and Highlands-Baywood Park and Hillsborough to the west. The 2014 population for the city of San Mateo was estimated to be 102,893, showing significant growth as many have been drawn to the city for its strong economy and pleasant neighborhoods. San Mateo was initially incorporated in the year 1894. By car, San Mateo is only about thirty minutes from downtown San Jose and twenty-five minutes from downtown San Francisco.
The economy of San Mateo is impressive and would best be considered very diverse with jobs in the technology, health care, financial services, government, and retail trade fields being among the most numerous by far. Companies based in San Mateo include Franklin Templeton Investments, Roblox, Fisher Investments, Solstice, and GoPro.
San Mateo is also known for its downtown district which also earns the city a great deal of commerce and tourism. The city has one of the larger, more well-developed, and more prominent suburban downtowns in all of the San Francisco Bay Area. It is located roughly between Tilton and 9th Avenues and Delaware Street and El Camino Real. The downtown core itself actually contains over 800 shops and restaurants, many of them in historic buildings from the late 19th and early 20th centuries. A historically influential area for the Japanese-American community, the downtown is home to many Japanese restaurants and shops too. A large, modern 12-screen movie theatre complex gives the downtown a major entertainment option for residents and visitors alike. Central Park is considered to be San Mateo's signature park with tennis courts, picnic areas, playground, a baseball field, a recreation center, a miniature train, and a Japanese Tea Garden too.
Drug Addiction and Substance Abuse Hits Hard in the City of San Mateo
Sadly, the city of San Mateo has also attracted a major amount of drug addiction and substance abuse in the last eight years. Truly, the economic crisis of 2008 caused a lot of drug users and abusers to leave their respective areas in bigger, metropolitan areas and cities in search of smaller and mid-sized cities that would potentially have wealthier clientele who could still afford illegal substances and drugs.
This was the fate of San Mateo. The issue has been particularly severe with the youth of the city. Sadly, it is the young adult population of San Mateo that has been abusing drugs and alcohol the most with many of the city’s youth becoming rapidly addicted to drugs and alcohol. It is feared that, if something is not done about this soon then the city will truly experience a full on addiction epidemic.
Facts and Statistics: A U.S. Drug Problem with a Scope that Spans All Fifty States
To better understand the drug addiction crisis in San Mateo, it is important to also be able to better understand the drug addiction problem as it applies to the entire country. True enough, the issue is an extreme one all across the country, and San Mateo is just one of many different cities that has been adversely affected. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, (SAMHSA), worked together with the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, (NSDUH), to research, study, and survey their way through to a full understanding on just how serious the drug addiction crisis is in the United States today. Some of their findings have been listed below:
• Addiction is more common than many realize it is. There were approximately 20.6 million people in the United States over the age of 12 with an addiction in the year 2011. Now, there are anticipated to be more than twenty-five million in the U.S. who are addicted.
• Although most people don’t get the treatment they need, over 3 million people in 2011 received treatment for their addiction, but the problem is that more and more Americans are becoming addicted to drugs and alcohol every year than are getting recovered.
• The number of Americans with an addiction to heroin nearly doubled from the year 2007 to the year 2011.
• It is estimated that roughly 80% of new hepatitis C infections occur among those who use drugs intravenously, such as heroin users and abusers.
• Nearly about half of those who use heroin reportedly started abusing prescription pain killers before they ever used heroin at all.
• Almost 3 out of every 4 prescription overdoses are caused by painkillers. In the year 2009, 1 in 3 prescription painkiller overdoses were caused by methadone alone.
• Overdoses caused by painkillers are more common than heroin, cocaine, and meth overdoses combined.
Rehabilitation: How San Mateo Residents are Winning the Battle Against Addiction
For those addicted in San Mateo, the best shot at achieving a full and beneficial recovery lies in taking a course through an inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment center, detox facility, rehabilitation program, and recovery organization. Without a doubt, the issue of drug addiction is a serious one and must be dealt with as such. To even begin to unravel the issue of addiction one must first be able to find the tools necessary to win against addiction and those tools lie ready for ones use in an inpatient rehab program.