Elevate Addiction Services – SLT
586 Glorene Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150, USA California
• The person takes the substance and cannot stop taking it. In many cases, such as with nicotine, alcohol, or drug dependence, at least one serious attempt was made to give it up, but it was unsuccessful.
• Withdrawal symptoms. This is always a dead giveaway. When the current levels of that substance go below a certain level in the individual in question then he or she will have physical and mood-related symptoms. There are major cravings, bouts of moodiness, bad temper, poor focus, a feeling of being depressed to a degree and empty, frustration, anger, bitterness and resentment of varying degrees.
• There may suddenly be increased appetite to watch out for. Insomnia is a very common symptom of withdrawal and should be watched out for. In some cases the individual may have constipation or diarrhea of varying degrees. With some substances like cocaine, crack, meth, or alcohol, withdrawal can trigger violence, trembling, seizures, hallucinations, and sweats and even death if a person is not careful, so this definitely needs to be watched out for.
• The use of substances continues despite health problem awareness. This is a dead giveaway too when the individual continues taking the substance regularly, even though they have developed illnesses linked to it and they are aware of it. For example, a smoker may continue smoking even after a lung or heart condition develops, and the same is true for drug addicts or alcoholics.
• Social and/or recreational sacrifices are apparent. Watch out for this too with your loved one in question in Pacific Grove. In this case the person will have some activities that are given up because of an addiction to something. For example, an alcoholic may turn down an invitation to go camping or spend a day out on a boat if no alcohol is available for him or her to drink. A drug user won't take up the opportunity for a road trip if they think they won’t have a chance to sneak off and do drugs.If you see these signs and symptoms amongst someone in Pacific Grove whom you love then it’s time to take action and talk to them about it. This is when it is time to work towards rehabilitation for the person, and to even prepare for an intervention if necessary.