Novato is a well-known city in northern Marin County, in the North Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area, in the U.S. state of California. As of the 2010 United States Census, its population was 51,904 as reported by the United States Census Bureau. Novato is located about 10 miles northwest of San Rafael and just about 30 miles north of San Francisco on U.S. 101.
The city is well known for being the home to the Fireman's Fund Insurance Company, the Buck Institute for Research on Aging, and several biotech firms, such as Biosearch Technologies and BioMarin Pharmaceutical. Several other small technology companies are also based in Novato, such as 2K Marin, Radiant Logic, Toys For Bob, One Legal, International Genetics Incorporated, Channel Management Solutions, Enwisen, Sonic Solutions and DriveSavers. It is also home of a development studio for Take Two Interactive, parent company of Rockstar Games. The city has flourished and prospered as a result of being the home to so many successful companies and businesses.
Drug Addiction Represented Through Statistics
Listed below are some very basic facts and statistics about addiction as it is occurring in Novato:
• When it comes to spending on addiction, there are the two factors of the money spent on cleaning up after addiction, (hospital fees, ambulance fees, paying for collateral damage, accident fees, cleaning up meth labs, etc), and there are also the costs of trying to rehabilitate those addicted too. The federal and state governments both spend roughly 95.6 cents of every dollar on substance use and addiction toward the consequences of addiction, whereas only 1.9 cents go toward prevention and treatment of substance use disorders.
• Only about 1 in 10 people with substance use disorders receive any form of treatment at all for their addictions. The other nine people have to fend for themselves. Since addiction is next to impossible to beat on one’s own, this inevitably means that those who are addicted and do not get help will end up staying addicted for the rest of their miserable and, in some cases, quite short lives.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Handling for Eradicating Addiction
There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general has been making waves and has been increasing in Novato in a big and in a very severe way for all who live there. Many ask, “Why my city? Why my town?” There is a lot of chance and random action that is taken for drug abuse to affect one area more strongly than in another area, but some of the trends and aspects of these issues are pretty predictable. For example:
• Novato has seen more crime within its borders than other nearby cities have. Because this city rests on some major travel routes, it is common for drugs and other types of negative substances to come into this area whereas in other areas the travel across those cities is less common and prevalent. Truth be told, more travel across the area, (especially more travel by drug dealers and traffickers), will equate to more drug abuse and addiction in the area in general, even if the traveling dealers have another city in mind for their final destination and goal to do business in.
• Novato has had relatively lax and laid back rules and punishment when it comes to abusing drugs and alcohol in Novato, and this has led to residents there feeling more safe about doing such activities.
• Novato has seen a lot more youth and upper-class substance abuse in general than others have. Since youths and upper class residents can typically speaking afford or get their hands on drugs more easily than other demographics can, this has led to longer lasting substance abuse per person in Novato than in other areas.
Essentially, it is now common knowledge that drug abuse and addiction is pretty serious in Novato, so the next question that is always asked is what can be done about it? In the wake of intensive and continued substance abuse in any given area that doesn’t seem to be going away, what can be done to effectively end it once and for all?
This is where inpatient rehabilitation steps on the stage. With inpatient rehabilitation, really anyone who is addicted to anything can go out and tackle addiction in an inpatient rehabilitation program and come out the other end a totally sober and recovered individual. With rehab, those addicted in Novato can finally be detoxed and rehabilitated both and in such a way that they can totally address and purge all aspects of chemical and mental/psychological drug and alcohol addiction.
An addiction does not have to be a death sentence, though it is often thought to be by addicts everywhere. In Novato, the city would be just a few months away from attaining total sobriety if all those addicted there went through rehabilitation. The gains are there to be had, and they should be striven for soon.