About the City of La Puente and the Interesting Aspects of the City
There is no doing whatsoever that La Puente is a lovely bedroom community and suburb to Los Angeles. As far as costs compared to what a local gets out of the area, the city is quite affordable and easy to live in. It is also one of the nicer suburbs and individual towns in the area too.
La Puente is a well-known city in Los Angeles County, in the state of California, in the United States. The population was 39,816 at the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau. The city lies approximately just a mere 20 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. Redevelopment of the business districts in La Puente have been ongoing and without a doubt. However, the local government has been relatively unsuccessful in its attempts to attract big-box retailers, and restaurant chains to the small and mellow city. La Puente retains many aging 1950s-era strip malls that attract more interest from tourists than they do from serious shoppers.
All in all, this is a city that is very comfortable and pleasant to live in or even just to visit. It is unique in being capable of retaining a small town feel, while still being very close to the big city.
Facts and Statistics on the Rising Addiction Crisis in and Around La Puente
There has been no doubt as to the recent increases in drug and alcohol abuse and addiction in and around La Puente. It hasn’t just been La Puente that has been affected true enough. The entire nation has suffered. For example:
• Opiate-based pain reliever drugs are scourging the nation in terms of addiction statistics. In fact, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, (CDC), has named opiate pain reliever addiction as an official Epidemic in the United States. To show the effects of this, it was recorded that between 2001 and 2013 there was a threefold increase in the total number of deaths from opiate pain reliever drug overdoses.
• The National Survey on Drug Use and Health, (NSDUH) conducted the most interesting of studies in 2013. From this study, it was found that only a mere sixteen percent of Americans believed that the United States was making any real progress in its efforts to get rid of drug and alcohol abuse and addiction. To add insult to injury, thirty-seven percent said that the country is “losing ground” on the addiction crisis.
• Probably one of the most factual and properly representative measurements of the magnitude of the addiction problem in the United States is the number of Emergency Department visits that occur every year as a result of substance abuse. In 2009 for example, there were nearly 4.6 million drug-related Emergency Department visits. This number has increased three times over form the one and a half million such visits in 2004.
• Probably one of the saddest aspects to drug and alcohol addiction in the United States is the loss of life that occurs through the addict’s many mistakes. Even for those individuals who do not overdose on drugs or alcohol and die, there are those who die in car accidents. In the year 2009 alone, one in three drivers killed in car crashes tested positive for drugs.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Solution in and Around La Puente
There is no doubt about it and no mistaking it, La Puente is a city that is going through an addiction crisis. This has been occurring for some time now, but it has only recently brought on major attention from the media and the general public too.
A few key factors are very major in the addiction problem in La Puente. Just a couple of these are:
• Heroin has become a lot more common and prevalent in black. Rather than many of the local addicts continuing to use the types of drugs that they had been using like marijuana, heroin has begun to filter into the city from other bigger cities and now a lot of the local addicts are abusing that instead of their previous, more safe, less harmful drugs.
• Perhaps one of the biggest problems that has affected La Puente is that prescription drug abuse is also becoming a lot more popular here. This is concerning and very deadly because these drugs are supposed to be safe and helpful but instead they are very addictive and often lethal.
• Alcohol abuse is also picking up in La Puente. This is something that was previously extant but not as common. Now it is very common and in fact over the top.
Many other different factors have also occurred, but the fact of the matter remains that addiction is a seriously concerning issue in La Puente right now. With the help of inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment centers, detox facilities, rehabilitation programs, and recovery organizations though this does not have to be the case.
With programs like these, La Puente can make a full recovery. Now is the time for the individuals afflicted with substance abuse in La Puente to rise up and begin to take their lives back.