Galt is a small and pleasant city in Sacramento County, in the state of California, in the United States of America. It is part of the Sacramento–Arden-Arcade–Roseville Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 23,647 at the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau, up from 19,472 at the 2000 census.
The city’s growth in such a relatively short period of time is strongly indicative of swiftly growing interest in small suburbs and bedroom communities outside of the city of Sacramento itself. This is a city that no one even knew about prior to the turn of the century, and now it is experiencing a very impressive growth the likes of which it definitely has not seen before.
Galt is also home to many civic groups and clubs that have also earned the small city a lot of recognition. The Galt Area Historical Society is very active and has more than 500 members all in all. The Performing Animal Welfare Society is a place where retired, abandoned or abused performing animals and victims of the exotic animal trade can live in peace and contentment and be happy and at peace. The Galt Lions Club is part of Lions International and helps the local visually impaired repair their vision to see better for good.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse and Addiction Strikes a Blow in Galt
Wherever a population starts to rise and where interest in any given city goes, so does follow drug and alcohol abuse and addiction. True enough, drug dealers and criminals are most interested in cities and towns that are on their way up in the world, and it is for this reason that Galt has attracted the attention of drug criminals in the last few years.
The result has been a bad one to say the least. In fact, drug and alcohol abuse and addiction has been a growing concern all across California, not just in Galt. For example, the three worst substances in Galt and in California are alcohol, crystal meth, and prescription drugs. Below are some statistics that show just how serious these substances are a glimpse at the kinds of effects that they have on Americans:
• Alcohol abuse across the planet claims millions of lives every single year. For example, the year of 2012 saw a saddening and alarming three and a half million deaths all in all, (almost six percent of all accounted deaths in the world), that occurred as a result of alcohol abuse and addiction.
• Alcohol abuse and addiction has created serious issues all across the world and in big ways too. Alcohol misuse is actually the fifth leading risk factor for premature death and disability worldwide. In fact, this issue is even worse for a very broad age group too. Amongst people between the ages of fifteen and forty-nine alcohol abuse is the most common cause of premature death in the nation.
• Crystal meth abuse has brought on a serious spike in total overdose rates in the United States. Between the years of 1995 and 2002, emergency rooms in rural and urban areas alike throughout the country reported a sudden fifty percent increase in meth related visits that occurred over these years and because of these substance abuses.
• Prescription drug abuse is generating and creating more and more emergency room visits every single year. Over a full million emergency room visits involved the non-medical and addictive use of prescription medication in the year 2011, and over two million occurred in 2015. Medical emergencies and near-death experiences resulting from prescription drug abuse increased by a little over one-hundred and thirty-two percent over the last few years, making it the number one fastest growing reason for as trip to the emergency room in the United States. Truly, this nation is overmedicated.
• In the year of 2012, it was estimated that no less than 493,000 persons of the age of twelve or older used a prescription pain reliever non-medically for the first time in their lives. This unfortunately averaged out to about 1,350 new pain drug abusers every single day in the United States, and that number has done nothing but grow since then.
Rehabilitation Sought as the Best Way to Beat Addiction in and around Galt
Drug and alcohol addiction has certainly made a very negative impact on many of the residents of Galt. This is a problem that has been progressing pretty steadily every year since the turn of the century. Now more than ever, Galt needs the help of inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment centers, detox facilities, rehabilitation programs, and recovery organizations.
With such programs anyone can successfully beat drug and alcohol addiction once and for all. It is not an impossible thing to do, though it is nearly impossible if one does not have the help of such centers. With proper rehab in California though, positive change can finally be made in Galt and the city can finally get back to being the sober and successful city it once was before substance abuse came into the mix.