Fresno is the county seat of Fresno County, is a city in the U.S. state of California. The city is well known and popular amongst California residents, and the city also receives a significant amount of tourism from outsiders every year as well.
As of the year 2014 when the United States Census Bureau did its annual estimate, the city's population was 520,159 making it the fifth largest city in California, the largest inland city in California and the 34th largest in the entire nation of the United States. Fresno is in the center of the San Joaquin Valley and is the largest city in the Central Valley, which contains the San Joaquin Valley itself. The city rests peacefully and comfortably approximately 200 miles north of Los Angeles, and 170 miles south of the state capitol, Sacramento. Coincidentally the name Fresno means 'ash tree' in Spanish, and an ash leaf is featured on the city's flag which flies over the county government building.
Drug Addiction and Substance Abuse in the City of Fresno, California
As is the case for many other California cities, Fresno has more recently begun to experience a significant surge in the number of its residents who are abusing drugs and alcohol. This is a saddening fact to say the least, but a true one nonetheless. Drug addiction has become a serious issue all across the state of California ever since the turn of the century, with no signs or hints of it coming down or decreasing whatsoever.
Heroin, cocaine, crystal meth, crack, and marijuana have been the most commonly abused drugs in Fresno, but others are extant there as well. Prescription drugs, amongst all others, have become the most commonly abused drugs in Fresno. this is not just the case in Fresno either. Cities all across the country are starting to experience serious prescription drug absurd problems following a more than three-hundred percent increase in the production, manufacturing, and distribution of prescription drugs across all sectors of the United States by American pharmaceutical drug companies. If something is not down soon about the drug problem in Fresno then the entire city could be faced with a serious drug problem.
Drug Addiction Facts and Statistics: Addiction Hitting Hard in Fresno and Across California
Drug addiction is a difficult thing to stop once it has started up in any urban area. To assist the process of curbing addiction in Fresno various governmental organizations first studied the Fresno drug problem and the drug problem that has been sweeping all across California. The thought was that, with better understanding of the crisis, better preventive measures and solutions could be inevitably developed. Listed below are just some of the findings of these various research projects:
• According to the most recent 2008-2010 statewide survey, 17% of 11th graders and 13% of 9th graders in the city of Fresno alone reported they had used prescription painkillers to get high at least once in their lives already. It also showed that 10% of 11th graders and 7% of 9th graders reported they had tried barbiturates or tranquilizers at least once too.
• Looking at the bigger picture, in the year 2009 alone, more than two billion prescription painkillers were prescribed in California alone, a tenfold increase compared with 2000, according to the Bureau of Narcotic Enforcement at the California Department of Justice.
• The National Survey on Drug Use and Health, (NSDUH), indicates that among 12 year olds to 13 year olds in the city of Fresno, prescription medications are the drug of choice, over even alcohol or marijuana.
• In the city of Fresno, one in five teens say they can get prescription drugs in less than an hour and 70% report getting them from their own home, family or friends, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health, (NSDUH).
• In the study, Fresno was found to have 173 IV drug users for every 10,000 people; the national average is only about 60 per 10,000 people.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Cure for Addiction to Drugs and Alcohol
Rehabilitation stands to this day as the most successful and the most efficient way to tackle and essentially eradicate addiction in any given individual. Inpatient rehab has been the most effective way of doing this for over a century now. For Fresno residents, this is certainly the best option especially since the majority of Fresno residents who are addicted to drugs are sadly under the age of twenty-five.
Only inpatient rehab programs offer the extensive detox services that Fresno residents desperately need to medically and safely purify their bodies from illegal and prescription drugs alike. Also only inpatient rehab centers have the extensive counseling and therapy services necessary to assist Fresno residents in battling with and winning against all of the mental, spiritual, and personal constructions and modifications that addiction has created in any and all of the addicted populace of Fresno.
Going Free in Fresno, California
Sobriety and a lifelong recovery from drug and alcohol addiction is a beautiful thing indeed, and the chance at achieving sobriety should not be passed up by any means at all. With inpatient rehab in CA, anyone in Fresno, no matter how severely they are addicted, can go free from drug or alcohol addiction and substance abuse. Once cleaned up, Fresno has an excellent job market and cheap housing and property, so one can quite literally start his or her life over in a new and improved, and most importantly sober, way.