Elevate Addiction Services – SLT
586 Glorene Ave, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150, USA California
1. Don’t ever bring up the subject of substance abuse with the person when the person is under the influence of alcohol or other drugs. This is a major bad plan when people do this. When people are high or are under the influence, they are less able to understand logic and are more likely to be impatient, dismissive, angry and blaming, and possibly even violent too. Some people have poor impulse control and may act irrationally or violently if the subject is brought up while he or she is under the influence of a substance; they might really lash out at you.
2. Don’t be under the influence of substances yourself when you talk to your loved one, and don’t ever drink or do drugs around them. In fact, don’t drink or do drugs at all so they can look up to you as a role model.
3. Establish when is a time to talk when the two of you can have more than a few minutes alone. It’s best to schedule this out so your loved one is not surprised or feels threatened. Your goal in this endeavor is to have a nice dialogue, a two-way conversation of sorts in which you can state your concerns and understand the person’s perception of the situation and where they are coming from and how they feel about the situation. Ask the person if you can set a time to speak in the next few days to discuss something that is on your mind.
4. When you meet with your family member or loved one, tell them that you care for him or her. Really focus on the care factor, and emphasize that it’s this concern for their well-being that has led you to have this conversation and to want to discuss these issues.
5. List out the different behaviors that you’ve observed that you are concerned about.
6. Make it a two person conversation and get your loved one talking about it. Ask questions.Keep in mind that the ultimate goal is to get your loved one into a rehab center in CA so that he or she can get help with addressing his or her addiction. This is not always easy to do, but the first step is to talk to them, and only by talking to them can any forward progress be made.