El Centro is a lovely and popular city in and the county seat of Imperial County, the largest city in the Imperial Valley, east anchor of the Southern California Border Region, and the core urban area and principal city of the El Centro metropolitan area which encompasses all of Imperial County in fact. El Centro is also known for being the largest American city to lie entirely below the level of the sea, (-39 feet). The city of El Centro, located in the far southeastern corner of California, is near the major Southern California city of San Diego and the Mexican city of Mexicali too.
Founded as it was in 1906, W. F. Holt and C.A. Barker purchased the land on which El Centro was eventually built for only about $40 an acre and invested $100,000 in improvements of the land space. As one historian of valley life put it, "In only five months El Centro went from a barley field to a city…". It is now known for being a home to retail, transportation, wholesale, and agricultural industries alike. There are also two international border crossings nearby for commercial and noncommercial vehicles both in fact. The city's population was 42,598 at the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau, up from 37,835 in 2000.
Drug and Alcohol Addiction on the Rise and in a Big Way in El Centro
Sadly, drug and alcohol abuse and addiction has been on the rise and in a big way too all across the state of California. This has been a big problem to say the least and it has done nothing but worsen as the years have gone by. It is feared at this point that, if no major action is taken on the part of the city residents, then the issue will only worsen more and more to the point where it is in fact quite a micro-epidemic.
Facts and Statistics on the Addiction Problem in El Centro and the Nation
To better show just how series the drug and alcohol abuse problem has been not only in El Centro, but all across the nation for that matter, some facts and statistics have been included below:
• Unfortunately, there has been a significant spike in the use and abuse of crystal meth in certain key urban and rural areas of the United States. This is a drug that, though it has technically been around since the 1940s, has only recently become very popular and prevalent in the United States.
• There is no doubt in anyone's mind that drug alcohol abuse and addiction in general is a pretty serious problem in the nation today, but what a lot of people don't realize is the severe intensity of the effects that these abuses have on the fiscal aspect of the nation. For example, between drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and smoking the overall costs of damages created by these addictions total out to more than 600 billion dollars. A lot of that bounces back on to American taxpayers.
• A problem of increasing concern in the nation that is now on almost epidemic level proportions is that of pregnant women who are abusing drugs and alcohol. This is perhaps one of the greatest crimes that an addict can commit, because one is essentially getting two people addicted to drugs and not just one.
• One of the major substance abuse problems that faces the nation today is the opiate addiction epidemic that is racing across the nation at higher and higher speeds and expansions. This is a big problem in a lot of ways and has been proven to be such by the simple fact more Americans are addicted to opiates and die as a result of the abuse of opiates than all other drugs combined.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Solution to the Addiction Problem in and Around El Centro
A big problem in the addiction field in the United States today has been with an increasing heroin abuse issue. This problem has run rampant in many different areas of the nation. El Centro has been one of them. For El Centro though, heroin abuse has not been the only problem that has shown significant increases in popularity in this area. Also, prescription drug abuse, alcohol abuse, and marijuana abuse have been on the rise. For example:
• Prior to the turn of the century, heroin was almost non-existent in El Centro. Now it is one of the most popular drugs in the entire area.
• Alcohol abuse has always been a problem in the States, but El Centro experiences it more strongly than other areas do.
• Prescription drug abuse has been going up in tandem with heroin abuse in the United States and in El Centro specifically. This is quite concerning as prescription drugs are legal and quite easy to get a hold of and they are often even more dangerous than heroin is.
To address the addiction crisis in El Centro, the best current option has been to pursue rehabilitation with a passion. With rehab in CA, literally anyone can beat addiction once and for all. This is true for those addicted in El Centro. Inpatient rehabilitation brings about a full release from both the chemical and psychological aspects of drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general. As much of a problem as addiction is, it's nothing that inpatient rehab can't handle. Now is the time for all of those who are addicted in and around El Centro to rise up and commit to making a change in their lives for the better.