Downey is a well-known city located in southeast Los Angeles County, California, in the United States, just thirteen miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles. It is considered part of the Gateway Cities. The city is known for being the birthplace of the Apollo space program, and is the hometown of Richard and Karen Carpenter too. It is also the home of the oldest still operational McDonald's restaurant in the world. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 111,772, making it a mid-sized to large city.
While reports of robberies, aggravated assaults and petty thefts in Downey dropped in 2008, auto thefts reached a 10-year high and other crime rates have gone up since then. In 2008, 1,231 vehicles were reported stolen in the city of Downey. Other crimes recorded by the FBI Crime Index for the year 2008 include 252 robberies, 172 aggravated assaults, 24 rapes, 711 burglaries and 2,038 acts of larceny/thefts.
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, and again in the mid-2000s Downey saw an increase in gang activity. Today there is still a lot of gang activity going in the south area of Downey. In response, Downey formed a group called GOOD, (Gangs Out Of Downey), a community-based organization that helps encourage young people between the ages of 10-20 to stay away from such gangs. GOOD is also responsible for organizing many community events and programs such as various sports, after school care, scholarship programs for at-risk students looking to attend college, and counseling for both young people and their parents alike. GOOD has kept a close partnership with the Downey Police Department too, but drug addiction and gang violence is still an important issue that needs to be addressed in Downey.
Drug Addiction and Substance Abuse: A Cruel Fate for those Afflicted in the City of Downey
Sadly, drug addiction and substance abuse has definitely been on the rise in the city of Downey. This is a city that, until very recently, had very little to do with the terrible issues that are drug addiction and substance abuse. However, increases in gang activity and crime of course also brings about drug addiction and substance abuse too, making this an even more serious issue here than it is in many other areas and cities nearby. Surely, if something isn’t done to seriously work towards preventing this in the near future, then the drug addiction risks in Downey may very well just spiral out of control until a large percentage of the city’s residents are addicted.
Facts and Statistics: Real World Data on Downey, California, and the Nation
To better understand the drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse crisis as it not only pertains to Downey but also as it pertains to the rest of the nation, some facts and statistics have been included below to provide the reader with more information as to just how serious of an issue this really is:
• The 2007 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, (NSDUH), reported 153,000 current heroin users in the United States in the year 2007. Other estimates give figures as high as 900,000, and all in all the number reported by the NSDUH has certainly gone up exponentially since 2007.
• Opiates, mainly heroin but also opiate prescription drugs, were involved in four of every five drug-related deaths in Europe, according to a 2008 report from the European Monitoring Centre on Drugs and Drug Addiction, and were involved in three out of every five drug deaths in the United States.
• Opiates, mainly heroin, account for a full 18% of the admissions for drug and alcohol treatment in the United States, claiming more admission percentages than all other substances except alcohol.
• Over 94 million people in the US have admitted using marijuana at least once in their lives, and a majority of that number has used it more than once.
• According to the 2007 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 2.1 million people in the United States abused marijuana for the first time in that year.
Rehabilitation: How Addicts are Dealing with and Winning Against Addiction in Downey
For those who are afflicted with drug and alcohol addiction in Downey, the best chance at a new recovery and a better life lies in a course through an inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment center, recovery program, rehabilitation organization, and detoxification facility. It is these and only these types of programs that can offer the best of the best in the way of rehabilitation programs, and it is with programs like these that Downey will finally be able to beat addiction in its residents once and for all.
Inpatient programs for Downey addicts offer stellar detox services as well as rehabilitative services, of which of course anyone who is addicted to anything will need both of. These services are necessary and they are the only services that can guarantee a full lifetime of recovery and obesity, relapse free. With the help of rehab centers all across the nation, anyone who is addicted to anything in Downey can finally have the chance at a normal, happy, and productive life.