Coachella is a lovely city in Riverside County, in the state of California; it is the easternmost city in the region collectively known as the Coachella Valley, (or the Palm Springs area), of the United States of America. It is located just 28 miles east of Palm Springs, 72 miles east of Riverside, and about 130 miles east of Los Angeles.
Known as the "City of Eternal Sunshine", Coachella is largely a rural and agricultural community in the desert and one of the state's fastest growing cities in the late 20th century by far. When it first incorporated back in the year of 1946, it had 1,000 residents, but the population was 40,704 at the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau.
The eastern half of the infamous Coachella valley is below sea level, and the area's average elevation is just about 68 feet below sea level. The Salton Sea, a saltwater lake located about 10 miles South of Coachella, lies 227 feet below sea level as well.
The city is known for many things like the Coachella Music Festival and the fact that the city also lends its name to the Coachella grapefruit. In fact, the town's stretch of State Route 111 is named Grapefruit Boulevard in its honor too. Harrison Street or State Route 86 is declared historic U.S. Route 99, the major thoroughfare that connects with Interstate 10 a few miles north of town for residents and visitors alike to be able to move around the area quickly and efficiently.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse and Addiction In and Around Coachella
There has been a lot of problems and issues and difficulties lately with drug and alcohol abuse and addiction in and around the city and surrounding areas of Coachella. This is a city that has suffered greatly in more recent years and is sure to suffer even more if nothing is done to rectify the addiction problems here. Sure enough, this is a major problem in this area that definitely needs to be resolved and it needs to be resolved soon.
Facts and Statistics on Addiction and Rehabilitation in Coachella and Across the Nation
For some insight as to just how serious addiction really is in this and other areas, some facts and statistics have been included on it below:
• Education is the most effective but least often utilized preventative tactic for stopping drug and alcohol abuse before it even occurs. Unfortunately, only a third of all parents in the United States discuss the risks of abusing drugs and abusing alcohol with their children.
• Because so many Americans are now abusing pain reliever drugs, there has also been a severe spike in heroin abuse statistics in the United States as well. From the year 2001 to the year 2013 there was a five-fold increase in the total number of deaths from heroin overdoses. The heroin problem was practically eradicated in the United States at the turn of the century. Following a three-hundred percent increase in the production of opiate pain relievers between 2001 and 2005 however, heroin abuse statistics, including heroin overdose deaths, has now soared to literally unprecedented levels.
• Alcohol addiction and abuse is a seriously costly drain upon American society. Alcohol abuse costs the United States two-hundred and twenty-four billion dollars every single year. Expenses that alcoholics accrue that they cannot pay for come up in the cost of an ambulance ride, Emergency Room visits, vehicular damage, collateral damage, loss of life and limb of the addict or those that he or she harms, theft of money for alcohol, loss of employment, and others.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Way to Beat the Trap of Addiction for Those Afflicted in Coachella
There is no doubt in anyone's mind that substance abuse and drug addiction and alcohol addiction have all gotten a lot worse in Coachella in recent years. The question on everyone's mind though is what to do about it.
Helping one individual beat an addiction is hard enough and next to impossible in and of itself, but helping hundreds of substance abusers throughout an entire city beat addiction at the same time? That just seems unfeasible. There is a way to do it through, but it will take a serious amount of work on the parts of all of the residents of Coachella.
This is where inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment centers, detox facilities, rehabilitation programs, and recovery organization come into play. These are the only true and successful ways to vanquish addiction once and for all. With rehab, quite literally anyone can conquest and win against their own personal substance abuse nightmare. With rehab, two main things are accomplished:
1. The first is detoxification. This is the general act or fact of curing someone from chemical dependence to drugs and alcohol and freeing them of the cravings to substances.
2. The next is rehabilitation. With this approach, one will be able to counsel and utilize therapy to effectively address all of the mental and psychological aspects of addiction in an individual. The result is that the individual will be free from any mental or personal desires or impulses to take drugs or to abuse alcohol.
With these programs in full force, it is only a matter of time before the addiction problem is resolved. Coachella has experienced freedom from addiction in the past, now it's just a matter of time with the help of rehabilitation before it can experience it again.