The City of Watsonville in Review and in Summary
Watsonville is a lovely and popular city in Santa Cruz County, in the state of California, in the United States. The population of the city was 51,199 according to the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau. Located on the central coast of California, the economy centers predominantly around the farming industry but also on the tourism industry too. It is known for growing strawberries, apples, lettuce and a host of other vegetables too.
Watsonville is home to people of varied ethnic backgrounds also, which has caused it to increase in popularity significantly. There is a large Hispanic population, a group of Croats, Portuguese, Filipino, Caucasian, Sikhs and Japanese population that live and work in the city as well.
Drug and Alcohol Addiction Facts and Statistics on the Crisis in Watsonville and Across the Nation
There has been a strong increase in drug and alcohol addiction all across the nation, and California has been one of the worst affected by far. Here are some facts and numbers on it, particularly as it pertains to young adult substance abuse which is a huge issue in Watsonville:
Teens and young adults in general now abuse drugs more often and in much higher numbers than ever before witnessed in history. A lot of this is because teens and young adults simply know how to get a hold of drugs much better than in any previous decade and have much better access to such drugs than ever before.. For example, in 2008, the following percentages of teens report knowing how to obtain each of the following type of drug:
• Marijuana: 83.9%
• Amphetamines: 47.9%
• Cocaine: 42.4%
• Barbiturates: 38.8%
• Crack: 35.2%
• LSD: 28.5%
• Tranquilizers: 22.4%
• Heroin: 25.4%
• Crystal meth: 23.3%
• PCP: 20.6%
So, we know from this that even if teens do not actually use the drugs, it is clear that they are readily available, either at school or by some other means that the teens and young adults know about. It is very clear also that teen drug use, while declining in some areas, is rising as far as marijuana use, prescription drug use, heroin use, and meth use is concerned.
The workplace gets hit a lot with the effects of drug and alcohol abuse. For example, of workplace victims of violence:
• 35% believed the offender was drinking or using drugs at the time of the incident
• 36% did not know if the offender had been drinking or using drugs
• 27% of all workplace offenders had not been drinking or using drugs
• Victims of workplace violence varied in their perception of whether the offender used alcohol or drugs by occupation.
• 47% of such offenses in law enforcement workplaces perceived the offender to be using alcohol or drugs
• 35% of such offenses in the medical field perceived the offender to be using alcohol or drugs
• 31% of such offenses in retail sales perceived the offender to be using alcohol or drugs
Rehabilitation: How it is Approached and Why it is Needed in Watsonville
Addiction, meaning addiction to drugs and alcohol, has become a major issue in the city of Watsonville, in the areas around it, in the entire state in general in fact, and in the United States too. This has been a major problem and the residents there know it. If something isn’t done soon to address this, then the drug addiction crisis in this area will, (according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, (CDC)), will advance to the point of being a legitimate and very serious and saddening crisis.
This is why it is so important for those who are addicted here to seek out rehabilitation as soon as possible. By rehabilitation it is meant an inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment center, detox facility, rehabilitation program, and recovery organization. These are the programs that will inevitably make the most difference in Watsonville.
Since rehab is the best way to beat addiction in Watsonville, it is important for those addicted in Watsonville to know what to look for in a rehab center when picking one to go to. Based on scientific research performed and published and proven to be true since the mid-1970s, the following key principles should form the basis of any effective treatment program for those addicted in Watsonville:
1. Addiction is a complex but treatable disease that affects brain function and behavior.
2. No single treatment is right for everyone.
3. People need to have quick access to treatment.
4. Effective treatment addresses all of the patient’s needs, not just his or her drug use.
5. Staying in treatment long enough is critical.
6. Counseling and other behavioral therapies are the most commonly used forms of treatment.
7. Medications are often an important part of treatment, especially when combined with behavioral therapies.
8. Treatment plans must be reviewed often and modified to fit the patient’s changing needs.
9. Treatment should address other possible mental disorders.
10. Medically assisted detoxification is only the first stage of treatment.
11. Treatment doesn’t need to be voluntary to be effective.
12. Drug use during treatment must be monitored continuously.
13. Treatment programs should test patients for HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis, and other infectious diseases as well as teach them about steps they can take to reduce their risk of these illnesses.
With rehabilitation centers in California, one can start a new life and turn over a new leaf. This is the truth of the matter and it is programs like these that will save Watsonville. It has never been more important than now for those who are addicted to seek out rehab centers as soon as possible to win the battle against addiction once and for all. Addicts in Watsonville need to stand up and make a change in their lives so that progress towards a better society can finally be made.
Addiction is insidious because it can be so hard to recognize. People who suffer from chemical dependency often don’t understand the full extent of their problem. Loved ones of people who suffer from addiction might not realize how bad the problem is either a... Read More...
If someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you’re probably wondering how you can get them help. You can’t force someone into rehab, but you can encourage them to choose it for themselves. Approaching your loved one from a place of caring and respect is crucial. If you’re considering an... Read More...
If you’re considering addiction treatment, you’re probably weighing the pros and cons of outpatient versus inpatient rehab. Which one should you choose? Outpatient rehab is often more affordable than inpatient treatment, and it can be very effective for patients who have a strong support network, stable... Read More...