South El Monte is a pleasant city in the San Gabriel Valley, in Los Angeles County, in the state of California, in the United States of America. As of the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau, the city had a population of 20,116, down from 21,144 at the 2000 census.
South El Monte is a pretty small town, middle class, average American city. The median income for a household in the city was $24,656, and the median income for a family was $34,349. This puts the city on the verge of lower class while still maintaining itself in the middle class range too. Males had a median income of $21,075 versus $18,949 for females. The per capita income for the city was about $10,130. About 16.2% of families and 19.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.7% of those under age 18 and 11.0% of those aged 65 or over.
Unfortunately, the city of South El Monte is starting to experience a bit of a recession of its own that began a few years ago. This would explain the dip in population and the rising drug and alcohol abuse issue too.
Statistics on Substance Abuse
Substance abuse and addiction has been a pretty serious issue for some time now in California and in small cities like South El Monte. For some general statistics on this:
• A very concerning issue with drug and alcohol abuse in the United States today is with how common and how generally accepted marijuana abuse is. What a lot of people are forgetting is that marijuana is the number one gateway drug in the nation. Even if it isn’t nearly as bad as most drugs are, 90% of all drug addicts in the country will admit that they started with marijuana as their first drug. This alone is reason to keep it illegal and to not allow its use.
• Crisis after crisis has presented itself in the form of drug and alcohol abuse and addiction. However, nothing quite shows the devastating effects of drugs and alcohol like the sheer number of Americans who are in some way affected by it. By this it is not just meant those who actually are abusing drugs and alcohol, but it is instead meant the family members and loved ones who are also affected. Truth be told, studies show that about one out of every 10 Americans know someone who is addicted to drugs or alcohol, and one out of every five Americans has at some point in their life been adversely affected by somebody who was addicted.
What to Do About the Addiction Issue in South El Monte
Drug and alcohol use and abuse is quite prevalent in South El Monte now. This is a pretty serious and concerning problem to say the least, especially considering the fact that those who live here have never really had to deal with major substance abuse issues before. Here’s how drug use breaks down in South El Monte, particularly for the youth of the area:
1. Taking a recreational drug causes a rush of the hormone dopamine in the brains of those who take it, which triggers feelings of pleasure. The brain remembers these feelings and wants them repeated as soon as possible and then continuously after that.
2. When a person becomes addicted in South El Monte, the substance takes on the same significance as other survival behaviors, such as eating and drinking do. It becomes that normal.
3. Changes in your brain interfere with a person’s ability to think clearly, exercise good judgment, control their behavior, and feel normal without drugs in their body at all times.
4. No matter which drug a person is sadly addicted to, the uncontrollable craving to use grows more important than anything else in their lives, including family, friends, career, and even their own health and happiness and ultimately, even their own lives.
5. The urge to use is so strong that the mind finds many ways to deny or rationalize the addiction to the point where residents of South El Monte will actually truly believe that it is a good idea to seek out drugs. They may drastically underestimate the quantity of drugs that they are taking, how much it impacts their lives, and the level of control that they have over their drug use versus the actual level of control that they have.
This is the slippery slope of addiction in South El Monte, and this is why South El Monte needs the help of rehabilitation centers so badly. With proper rehabilitation centers, the issue will reduce drastically to say the least, and the overall result will be a much greater level of sobriety in South El Monte. With proper rehabilitation and recovery properly exercised here, the problem will finally begin to drop down.
Rehabilitation in South El Monte will apply a combination of detoxification and rehabilitation both and in tandem too. These can be used and utilized effectively for those addicted in South El Monte to address and handle both chemical dependence and psychological addiction too. This is the key to a turnaround in South El Monte.
Addiction is insidious because it can be so hard to recognize. People who suffer from chemical dependency often don’t understand the full extent of their problem. Loved ones of people who suffer from addiction might not realize how bad the problem is either a... Read More...
If someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you’re probably wondering how you can get them help. You can’t force someone into rehab, but you can encourage them to choose it for themselves. Approaching your loved one from a place of caring and respect is crucial. If you’re considering an... Read More...
If you’re considering addiction treatment, you’re probably weighing the pros and cons of outpatient versus inpatient rehab. Which one should you choose? Outpatient rehab is often more affordable than inpatient treatment, and it can be very effective for patients who have a strong support network, stable... Read More...