About the City of San Gabriel
San Gabriel is a lovely city in Los Angeles County, in the state of California, in the United States. It is historically named after the Mission San Gabriel Arcángel, founded by Junipero Serra. The city grew then outwards from the infamous mission and in 1852 became the original township of Los Angeles County. San Gabriel was incorporated in the year of 1913. The city’s motto is “A city with a Mission” and it is often called the “Birthplace” of the Los Angeles metropolitan area. At the 2010 census, the population was 39,718 as reported by the United States Census Bureau
Facts and Statistics on a Rise in Drug and Alcohol Abuse in and Around San Gabriel
There has been a lot of talk lately about the rise in drug and alcohol abuse and addiction not only in San Gabriel, but all across the nation. For example:
• As of the year 2012, deaths as a result of overdosing on legal, available, and supposedly safe opiate analgesics, (pain relief drugs) have been at an all-time high. In 2014, the total deaths that occurred as a result of overdosing on these misleading drugs topped seventeen thousand, higher than any year in history ever.
• Drug abuse is starting to affect women far more than it used to. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, (CDC), the number of women who lost their lives by overdosing on just one type of drug, (opioid pain relievers), rose by more than four-hundred and fifteen percent between the years of 1999 and 2010. To put down the numbers exactly, in the year 2010, there were a total of 6,631 deaths among women involving opioid pain reliever overdoses. This heavily increased number is compared with the 1999 total of a mere 1,287 such deaths among women from the same type of drug.
• One of the most financially beneficial developments of modern medicine has been that of psychiatric drugs. Drug companies, pharmacists, medical doctors, psychologists, psycho-therapists, and psychiatrists have profited immensely from prescribing psychiatric drugs. This has come at a price however. Psychiatric drugs, particularly benzodiazepines, are highly addictive and dangerous. For example, from the year 2001 to the year 2013 there was an increase of four times as many deaths from benzodiazepine overdoses. These were deaths caused by drugs as commonplace as: clonazepam (Klonopin), lorazepam (Ativan), diazepam (Valium) and alprazolam (Xanax).
• Heroin abuse has been on the rise ever since opiate pain medication became immensely popular amongst Americans. The last several years have seen immense increases in heroin abuse amongst young adults in particular. There has been an eighty percent increase in first-time use of heroin among 12 to 17-year-olds since the year 2002.
• The number of cocaine overdose deaths, another critical issue in the United States that was almost completely irradiated by the turn of the century, has now begun to increase. From the year 2001 to the year 2013 there was a thirty percent increase in the total number of deaths caused by cocaine overdoses.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Solution
The truth of the matter with substance abuse in San Gabriel is that this has been an ongoing issue for some time now. Since the turn of the century in fact, drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general has been becoming more and more popular and prevalent in San Gabriel in the surrounding areas and communities. For some time now San Gabriel has waged a battle against the rising tide of addiction. However, in spite of the various preventative efforts and measures taken by the city, the substance abuse problem has continued to grow.
Multiple different factors have contributed to increased substance abuse and San Gabriel. Some of them are:
• A huge surge has occurred in youth drug and alcohol abuse. Prior to the turn of the century, drug and alcohol abuse amongst San Gabriel’s youth was not really a problem but now studies show that roughly almost half of the individuals under the age of 24 in San Gabriel have tried a drug other than marijuana.
• Substance abuse amongst the city’s middle-class, upper-middle-class, and upper-class has also risen. This has allowed for a lot more drugs to be sold in the city of San Gabriel because these classes generally have more money to spend on drugs.
• Though San Gabriel is not a big city, it is still a key stopping point across major heroin trafficking lines through that part of the nation. This had allowed for the simple manifestation of more drugs to exist in this area.
In times like these, the substance abuse problem in San Gabriel does seem to be pretty severe. It is not the end of the world though. With proper rehabilitation, anyone who is addicted to anything in or around San Gabriel can beat their addiction crisis once and for all. This is where inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence, treatment centers, detoxification facilities, rehabilitation programs, and recovery organizations come into play.
With the help of a rehabilitation center, anything can be accomplished in San Gabriel. This is the key to San Gabriel’s future sobriety. Now is the time for all those who are addicted in the city to stand up and take their lives back with the help of rehabilitation.
Addiction is insidious because it can be so hard to recognize. People who suffer from chemical dependency often don’t understand the full extent of their problem. Loved ones of people who suffer from addiction might not realize how bad the problem is either a... Read More...
If someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you’re probably wondering how you can get them help. You can’t force someone into rehab, but you can encourage them to choose it for themselves. Approaching your loved one from a place of caring and respect is crucial. If you’re considering an... Read More...
If you’re considering addiction treatment, you’re probably weighing the pros and cons of outpatient versus inpatient rehab. Which one should you choose? Outpatient rehab is often more affordable than inpatient treatment, and it can be very effective for patients who have a strong support network, stable... Read More...