About the City of Rancho Palos Verdes in Review and Summary
Rancho Palos Verdes, (also known by the abbreviation RPV by the locals), is a city in Los Angeles County, in the state of California atop the Palos Verdes Hills and bluffs of the Palos Verdes Peninsula in the United States. Being that it is an affluent suburb of Los Angeles, it is known for large tracts of open space and expansive views of the Pacific Ocean too, which earn it the title of being one of the most beautiful places in the area. Rancho Palos Verdes is translated as “Ranch of Green Trees” or “Ranch of Sticks”, probably referring to the willows in the northeastern part of Bixby Slough, (now known as Machado Lake), shown on earlier maps.
The flush history of Rancho Palos Verdes dates back to the Tongva or Gabrielino Indians, who initially inhabited the site before the Age of Discovery of the area. Portuguese explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo was credited as the first European to navigate the California Coast in 1542, which included the hills of Rancho Palos Verdes too. Rancho de los Palos Verdes was established by a Mexican land grant given in 1846 by Governor Pio Pico to Jose Loreto and Juan Capistrano Sepulveda.
The city’s by far most notable geographic features are the Palos Verdes Hills and cliffs, with grand vistas of the Pacific Ocean and of Santa Catalina Island. The city incorporated on September 7, 1973. The population was 41,643 at the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau. Without a doubt this is an affluent and special little town that has done well for itself and succeeded quite a bit.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse and Addiction Facts and Statistics: The Real Information on Substance Abuse in Rancho Palos Verdes and Across the Nation
Rancho Palos Verdes is not the only city that has struggled immensely with substance abuse and addiction in recent years. True enough, many other places across the nation have also struggled quite a bit and are having a hard time of it. The end result has been that addiction as an affliction has spread outwards across many different locales and areas all across the country. For a look at the statistics on it, some facts have been included below:
• Nine times out of ten when someone tries heroin for the first time here she will become addicted to it. This is without a doubt one of the most addictive drugs on the planet and it is making a big comeback in the United States. In a way this has been caused by increased prescription drug abuse of opiate, pharmaceutical painkillers. Opiate painkillers and heroin are very similar in the effects that they have on the individual when he or she abuses them.
• A big problem in the nation right now with substance abuse is that more more young adults are abusing drugs and alcohol than ever before in the history of the nation. This is particularly concerning and worrisome. It is never good for anybody in any range of age to be abusing drugs and alcohol, but young adults have a tendency to be affected far more severely by drugs than older adults do. They have a higher likelihood of dying from abusing drugs than older adults do, and they have a higher likelihood of committing crimes and getting into trouble as well.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Solution to Addiction in and Around Rancho Palos Verdes
For some time now the most concerning health and socio-humanitarian issue of the United States has been that of drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general. Prior to the year 2008 this was most definitely the most concerning issue, but it most definitely is now. Since the economic recession of 2008 much has changed in the addiction-related problem area of the United States. This is a general subject matter that wasn’t a huge issue prior to the turn of the century. It began to worsen in the early 2000’s and then it spiked during the recession when so many lost so much. For the residents of Rancho Palos Verdes, the situation is even worse here than the average as this city was intensely affected by the drug and alcohol abuse issues as they appeared in the nation.
Rancho Palos Verdes has suffered in a few unique ways that has made the addiction problem in this city truly unique. First of all:
1. Drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general tends to have a much stronger effect on young adults when young adults do abuse drugs and alcohol. Young adults tend to die much more easily from their abuses than older adults do, and young adults are far more likely to commit crimes and get into trouble than older adults are. Sadly, this is an issue that has only worsened more and more as the years have gone by and most likely will worsen further and further if nothing us done to address it properly.
2. The types of drugs that are abused in and around Rancho Palos Verdes have made a big difference in the actual severity of the drug and alcohol abuse issues here. Most cities in this general area have marijuana as their number one most popular drug, but Rancho Palos Verdes has heroin and prescription drugs as their most concerning drug issues. These drugs are far more dangerous and severe that marijuana ever was or is.
3. Rancho Palos Verdes has also seen a spike in crime relating to drugs, and this has just made the issue that much worse indeed. For those addicted to drugs and alcohol here, much concern has been directed to the issue but not much has been done to rectify. More and more crime will just mean more and more drugs and alcohol in and around these areas in general.
In times like these and with the true severity of drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in general, the residents of Rancho Palos Verdes do not have the luxury to be lackadaisical about their substance abuse problem. Something must be done about it, and it is obvious indeed that inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment centers, detox facilities, rehab programs, and recovery organizations are the answer and the key to winning the battle here. With rehab, it is hoped that this issue will finally be resolved and eradicated for good.
Addiction is insidious because it can be so hard to recognize. People who suffer from chemical dependency often don’t understand the full extent of their problem. Loved ones of people who suffer from addiction might not realize how bad the problem is either a... Read More...
If someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you’re probably wondering how you can get them help. You can’t force someone into rehab, but you can encourage them to choose it for themselves. Approaching your loved one from a place of caring and respect is crucial. If you’re considering an... Read More...
If you’re considering addiction treatment, you’re probably weighing the pros and cons of outpatient versus inpatient rehab. Which one should you choose? Outpatient rehab is often more affordable than inpatient treatment, and it can be very effective for patients who have a strong support network, stable... Read More...