About the City of Palm Springs, California
Palm Springs is a lovely desert resort city in Riverside County, in the state California, in the United States, within infamous the Coachella Valley. It is actually located approximately 55 miles east of San Bernardino, 107 miles east of Los Angeles, 123 miles northeast of San Diego, and 268 miles west of Phoenix, Arizona. The population was 44,552 as of the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau. Palm Springs covers approximately 94 square miles, making it the largest city in the county by land area by far.
Biking, golf, hiking, horseback riding, swimming, and tennis in the nearby desert and mountain areas are major forms of recreation in Palm Springs and earn the city a lot of income as a result of it. The city is also famous for its mid-century modern architecture and design elements too. All in all, this is a city that has flourished and prospered in a big way and in many different areas and aspects since the turn of the century particularly.
Drug and Alcohol Addiction and Substance Abuse Statistics in and Around the City of Palm Springs and in the Nation
For some more information as to just how severe of a drug problem not only Palm Springs but the surrounding areas of the nation has, some facts and statistics on the issue have been included below:
• One of the biggest problems with substance abuse in the United States today is the crime rates that are caused by substance abuse. This gets little media coverage but what most people do not know is that the vast majority of crimes that are committed in the United States are caused in some way by drug or alcohol abuse. For example, 40% of traffic fatalities are caused by substance abuse, 70% of violent crimes are caused by substance abuse, and a staggering 90% of sexual assaults are inspired by some form of substance abuse on the part of the offender.
• With rising addiction issues all across the nation, most Americans are giving little to no thought for just the effect that these increases are having on the future generations of the nation. Perhaps the worst of these is those individuals who are born with an addiction of some kind. Yes, this is true. Pregnant mothers who also abuse drugs and alcohol are a major issue in the United States today. Studies now show that there are tens of thousands of Pregnant women who are currently addicted to drugs and alcohol. It doesn’t get much worse than this, as at least a grown individual has a choice in whether or not he or she gets addicted to drugs and alcohol. An unborn fetus does not have such a choice at all. Often, the fetus dies as a result of the mother’s abuses, but more often it is just born with some kind of dependency to drugs and alcohol instead, and often with birth defects too.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Solution for the Addiction Crisis as it is Occurring in Palm Springs and the Nation
Drug and alcohol addiction and the entire matter of substance abuse in general is something that the United States has begun to suffer with more in recent years. This is an issue that has done nothing but expand more and more to the point where it is feared that if it gets any worse than the entire problem will soon earn the label of a full on addiction epidemic from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, (www.cdc.gov), that prescription drug abuse has already earned. True enough, the residents of the city of Palm Springs and of the nation in general cannot really afford for this issue to get any worse than it already is truthfully.
Something has to be done to handle the drug and alcohol addicted residents of Palm Springs. The first people looked to are the immediate family members and loved ones of these addicted individuals. Before their family members and loved ones can take action though, the must be able to tell if their loved one in question truly and most definitely is abusing drugs and alcohol. If this is done, then a level of needed certainty can be attained so that the family members can then proceed with trying to get him or her into treatment as soon as is possible. For some reference on this, the most popular drugs used and abused and their unique symptoms of abuse have been listed below:
Glassy, red eyes; loud talking and inappropriate laughter followed by sleepiness; a sweet burnt scent; loss of interest, motivation; weight gain or loss.
Clumsiness; difficulty walking; slurred speech; sleepiness; poor judgment; dilated pupils.
• Cocaine, Crack, Meth, and Other Stimulants:
Hyperactivity; euphoria; irritability; anxiety; excessive talking followed by depression or excessive sleeping at odd times; go long periods of time without eating or sleeping; dilated pupils; weight loss; dry mouth and nose.
Needle marks; sleeping at unusual times; sweating; vomiting; coughing and sniffling; twitching; loss of appetite; contracted pupils; no response of pupils to light.
• Depressants (including barbiturates and tranquilizers):
Seems drunk as if from alcohol but without the associated odor of alcohol; difficulty concentrating; clumsiness; poor judgment; slurred speech; sleepiness; and contracted pupils.
• Inhalants (Glues, aerosols, and vapors):
Watery eyes; impaired vision, memory and thought; secretions from the nose or rashes around the nose and mouth; headaches and nausea; appearance of intoxication; drowsiness; poor muscle control; anxiety; irritability.
Dilated pupils; bizarre and irrational behavior including paranoia, aggression, hallucinations; mood swings; detachment from people; absorption with self or other objects, slurred speech; confusion.
If these characteristics are seen and noted then one must begin the process of trying to get the individual who is displaying such characteristics into an inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment center, detox facility, rehabilitation program, and recovery organization. With the help of inpatient rehab centers, the drug problem can finally be brought down in and around the city of Palm Springs.
Addiction is insidious because it can be so hard to recognize. People who suffer from chemical dependency often don’t understand the full extent of their problem. Loved ones of people who suffer from addiction might not realize how bad the problem is either a... Read More...
If someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you’re probably wondering how you can get them help. You can’t force someone into rehab, but you can encourage them to choose it for themselves. Approaching your loved one from a place of caring and respect is crucial. If you’re considering an... Read More...
If you’re considering addiction treatment, you’re probably weighing the pros and cons of outpatient versus inpatient rehab. Which one should you choose? Outpatient rehab is often more affordable than inpatient treatment, and it can be very effective for patients who have a strong support network, stable... Read More...