Duarte is a well-known, pleasant, and relatively private and well-kept city in Los Angeles County, in the state of California, in the United States of America. As of the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau, the city had a population of 21,321, down from 21,486 at the 2000 census as a result of locals migrating into other areas of the LA metropolis.
Duarte is close to the city of Los Angeles, but it is definitely off of the beaten track of LA County. This city is bounded to the north by the San Gabriel Mountains, to the north and west by the cities of Bradbury and Monrovia, to the south by the city of Irwindale, and to the east by the cities of Irwindale and Azusa.
Duarte is located conveniently on historic U.S. Route 66 which today follows Huntington Drive through the middle of the city, making this town an excellent commuter village or bedroom community. The town holds an annual Salute to Route 66 Parade on the third weekend in September on Huntington Drive to celebrate this fact.
Duarte is known for its excellent economic achievement. That’s why many upper-middle class and upper class residents move here. Within Duarte, there are no less than five licensed private schools. These are:
1. Foothill Oaks Academy is a non-sectarian school serving students from preschool through 8th grade.
2. The Duarte Montessori School is affiliated with the American Montessori Society and serves students from preschool through 2nd grade.
3. The School of the Little Scholar is a non-sectarian preschool.
4. ABC School is another non-sectarian preschool that focuses on children with special education needs.
5. The Hayden Child Care Center is a Roman Catholic-affiliated school serving students in preschool and kindergarten.
All in all, though the population has dropped, Duarte is still a very pleasant and lovely town, as it is a good place to start and raise a family and a good place to settle down too.
Drug and Alcohol Abuse
The looming shadow that hangs over this otherwise pristine and perfect town is that of drug and alcohol abuse and addiction. This has been a problem for some time now in Duarte, which is probably why some have left the area. The city has never really struggled with addiction before given its size and its privacy, but now as the drug crisis of the 21st century has swamped the LA area, so too has Duarte felt the effects of these issues.
The biggest problems in Duarte are with heroin and prescription drugs. This has created a micro-epidemic of opiate drug use in this previously sober city, and whenever Duarte law enforcement try to get the drugs out, they just come back in from a neighboring city.
Facts and Statistics
To provide the reader with some context as to just how severe this issue is, some facts and statistics have been included on it below:
• There are certainly no doubts in anyone’s mind that drug and alcohol abuse and addiction in the United States is increasing. But who is it increasing with?
• Studies now show that youths and middle-class and upper middle-class Americans are the ones most affected. This is concerning because these demographics have not been very much affected in the past, so the effect that addiction is having on them is far worse because they are not used to it.
Rehabilitation Sought as a Solution
Duarte has been a trouble hotspot for addiction for some time now and has experienced an ever increasing substance abuse problem since 2001. This area experienced the prescription pain pill abuse problem that so many other cities in this state also experienced. What occurred at the turn of the century was that American pharmaceutical companies increased the manufacture, the production, and the proliferation of prescription drugs into the hands of the American populace by no less than three-hundred percent. In the course of just a couple years, there was suddenly more than triple the number of prescription drugs floating around the United States, and many U.S. cities experienced a major and intensive prescription drug abuse and addiction epidemic as a result of this.
Crisis after crisis has been occurring in the nation when it comes to substance abuse, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, (CDC), have published that it is the prescription drug abuse problem that by far is the worst when it comes to drug and alcohol addiction. Sadly, this is exactly what has been causing the most trouble and concern in Duarte.
The best way by far to approach the drug problem in Duarte has been to do so with the help of an inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment center, detox facility, rehab program, and recovery organization. This is the truth of the matter. One cannot simply beat prescription drug addiction by itself. It just doesn’t work that way. The problem is far too prevalent and serious for it to be such a simple and easy thing to take control of effectively without the help of a rehab center.
• With inpatient rehab though, addicts in Duarte will first be detoxed. With proper and effective detox, those who are hooked on pills will finally be able to free themselves of chemical dependence. This is key because it is next to impossible to kick pills on one’s own without some help from the professionals.
• Up next is rehab itself. With rehab the psychological aspects of addiction can finally be addressed. Counseling sessions and group therapy sessions await those who are addicted to pills in Duarte. This is what will help these individuals get down to the bottom of their addictions. This is quite key and quite necessary, as one will probably relapse without this mental and psychological address.
Between the physical and the mental approach that inpatient rehabs offer, Duarte’s addicted residents actually do stand a chance at beating addiction once and for all. It will still take a great deal of work to accomplish this goal, but it is most definitely possible now and it should be pursued.
Addiction is insidious because it can be so hard to recognize. People who suffer from chemical dependency often don’t understand the full extent of their problem. Loved ones of people who suffer from addiction might not realize how bad the problem is either a... Read More...
If someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you’re probably wondering how you can get them help. You can’t force someone into rehab, but you can encourage them to choose it for themselves. Approaching your loved one from a place of caring and respect is crucial. If you’re considering an... Read More...
If you’re considering addiction treatment, you’re probably weighing the pros and cons of outpatient versus inpatient rehab. Which one should you choose? Outpatient rehab is often more affordable than inpatient treatment, and it can be very effective for patients who have a strong support network, stable... Read More...