About the City of Covina: The City and its Surroundings in Review and in Summary
Covina is a lovely city in Los Angeles County, in the state of California, just about 22 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, in the San Gabriel Valley region and area. The population was 47,796 at the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau up from 46,837 at the 2000 census. The city’s infamous slogan, “One Mile Square and All There”, was coined when the incorporated area of the city was only one square mile all in all.
Covina is to this day often confused with West Covina which is actually larger in both area and population alike, located to its south and west side together. Irwindale lies to the west of it, as well as the unincorporated area of Vincent, and the city of Baldwin Park too. Azusa and Glendora are to the north of the city, the unincorporated community of Charter Oak to the northeast, San Dimas to the east, the unincorporated areas of Ramona and Via Verde, and the city of Pomona to the southeast. The city is now known for being a major industry in not only tourism but in business as well. The growth of the city has occurred largely as a result of this city making a strong comeback after the economic recession of 2008.
Drug and Alcohol Addiction and Substance Abuse on the Rise in and Around Covina
Sadly, though this area has prospered greatly in recent years, that is nothing compared to the drug problem that has been on the rise in this area for some time now Sadly, drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse in this area has gone up and in a big way too. If something isn’t done soon to take this issue down a notch, then it is feared that the problem will only gradually worsen more and more to the point where the city faces an actual addiction epidemic.
Facts and Statistics on the Rise in Addiction in Covina and the Nation
Studies show that there have been some increases in drug and alcohol abuse across the nation. Covina is a city that has been affected greatly too. For example:
• Many people do not think it to be a very big deal, but prescription drug abuse is the greatest nightmare of addiction that this nation has ever faced. It does not get much media coverage because prescription drugs are supposedly safe and helpful for Americans to use as they are illegal and they are man-made and meant for medical purposes. However, they are horrifyingly addictive and they kill more Americans than all other drugs combined. Just last year more than 20,000 Americans died as a result of abusing prescription drugs. Depending on the type of drug, sometimes one will have a 50-50 chance of getting addicted to a drug that he or she is prescribed for a legitimate reason.
• A powerful factor in the issue of drug and alcohol addiction and abuse in the United States today is that of the effects it has on those who have absolutely nothing to do with it. Sadly, about 20,000 Americans die every year in car accidents caused by somebody who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. In some ways, this is even sadder than the individuals who are addicted themselves dying because innocent bystanders never even committed the crime of becoming addicted in the first place.
Rehabilitation: How Those who are Addicted are Beating their Drug and Alcohol Addiction Problem
Unfortunately, drug and alcohol addiction and substance abuse, in general, has become a pretty major issue in Covina. This crisis has largely been created by the area’s close proximity to key narcotic trafficking lines from Mexico. This has been just one reason for the increase in substance abuse in this area. There are many others:
1. The youth population of Covina has been exposed to drugs in the last couple years like never before. The prevalence and availability of these substances to younger adults is incredibly too high in Covina.
2. The types of substances that are used and abused in Covina have changed, and this has also made the situation that much worse. Whereas marijuana used to be the most common drug, now heroin and prescription drugs are tied for the most common. These drugs are very dangerous so that has just exacerbated the issue there.
3. The city of Covina, the surrounding areas, and the entire nation for that matter has become much more accepting of drug and alcohol abuse. Since the turn of the century, surveys have shown that Americans are far more accepting of substance abuse in general than they ever were before. This has allowed for more substance abuse in Covina by far.
4. After the economic crisis of 2008, less money was available in Covina to spend on drug prevention and policing efforts. As the economy there is still recovering, drug crime and problems have been allowed to run rampant sadly enough and this too has made for bigger drug problems in Covina.
With all of these problems stacking on top of each other, many have begun to wonder what the best course of action is in addressing this all too present concern. For the addicted residents of Covina, really the only way out of the nightmare would be through an inpatient, residential, drug and alcohol addiction and dependence treatment center, detox facility, rehabilitation program, and recovery organization.
In rehab, one will gain all of the tools and techniques needed to first successfully detox off of all chemical substances in his or her body. With this tool, one can actually beat chemical dependence and be physically free from addiction.
Secondly, after that is completed one will have access to the actual rehabilitation program itself. This will include all of the counseling and therapy needed to address and eradicate every aspect or manifestation of mental and psychological drug and alcohol addiction.
In the end, fighting the drug addiction battle in Covina will not be an easy one. It never is. However, with grassroots efforts to get all of those who are addicted into rehab centers for their addictions the city will finally be able to make a strong turnaround.
Addiction is insidious because it can be so hard to recognize. People who suffer from chemical dependency often don’t understand the full extent of their problem. Loved ones of people who suffer from addiction might not realize how bad the problem is either a... Read More...
If someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you’re probably wondering how you can get them help. You can’t force someone into rehab, but you can encourage them to choose it for themselves. Approaching your loved one from a place of caring and respect is crucial. If you’re considering an... Read More...
If you’re considering addiction treatment, you’re probably weighing the pros and cons of outpatient versus inpatient rehab. Which one should you choose? Outpatient rehab is often more affordable than inpatient treatment, and it can be very effective for patients who have a strong support network, stable... Read More...