California City is a city incorporated in 1965 in the northern Antelope Valley in Kern County, in the state of California. The city rests just 65 miles southwest of Death Valley National Park, an infamous place and a major tourism attraction. The population was 14,120 at the 2010 census making California City the 331st largest city in the state by population. Another way to look at it, given that it is the 331st, is that it is one of the smallest cities in the entire state. Conversely though, given that the city covers no less than 203.631 square miles, the city is no less than the third largest city in the state by its overall area.
California City is known for a lot of nice things. The city has one landowners’ resort, one PGA golf course, one prison, and one municipal airport. Much of the workforce of Edwards Air Force Base, which is located just to the south of the city and is not that far away, is made up of local city residents. Other major sources of employment in this city include California City Correctional Center, (California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation), Mojave Air and Space Port and its flight test operations, the Hyundai/Kia Proving Grounds located in the rural southwestern part of the city, and nearby cities, such as Tehachapi, Ridgecrest, Boron, Palmdale, and Lancaster. All in all, there are many different sources of income for this city.
For some details on the economy, the median income for a household in the city was $45,735, and the median income for a family was about $51,402. Males had a median income of $44,657 all in all versus about $28,152 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,902 too. About 12.5% of families and 17.3% of the population were below the poverty line unfortunately, including 28.0% of those under the age of 18 and 12.4% of those of the ages of 65 or older.
Only about 807 workers lived and worked in California City in the year of 2006. This was 24.3% of the city’s overall population. 31% of the male population were public administrators in the year of 2006. Public administration is actually the most common job in California City. Most who live in California City actually work elsewhere.
Although the overall growth and the estimated expansion of the city have not met its founders’ expectations, California City has definitely seen substantial population growth over the past several years. The Demographic Research Unit of the California Department of Finance estimates California City’s population at 12,048 as of 1 January 2006. California City’s population increased an estimated 4.2% in 2005, over three times the growth rate of the state as a whole, showing a good population increase that is hard to match. California City currently ranks in at 345th out of 478 incorporated cities in California, up from 348th in the year of 2005. In the 2004 Presidential election, 67% voted for the Republican candidate, and 33% voted for the Democratic candidate, showing a strong percentage of the city being Republican.
Drug Abuse in California City
One of the things that might have stopped or slowed down in the city of California City has been that this city has definitely been experiencing some intensive increases in drug and alcohol abuse and addiction issues in and around the city. Sure enough, this city and this area in general definitely has been hit hard when it comes to drug and alcohol abuse and addiction, and there has been no clear sign of things getting any better here any time soon. Unless something is done by the locals in the city itself, things will probably continue to worsen here.
Am I Addicted to Drugs?
There are some legitimate reasons to use certain drugs and to take certain quantities of alcohol. However, these are immensely limited to say the least. Especially with prescription drugs such as opiate pain relievers or other pharmaceutical drugs, there can be a lot of confusion and doubt as to how much is too much and how much is okay.
Obviously, it would be ideal to not have to take any drugs at all, but some medical conditions make them beneficial to the individual. This being said though, many prescription drugs also run a very high risk of addiction, and when this is not monitored or watched out for it can mean bad news for the residents of this area. California City has a high volume of prescription drug use, which also makes it a high risk area for prescription drug abuse.
To try and get an idea of exactly what kind of prescription drug use is too much use or is indicative of addiction, some facts and signs of addiction have been included below:
• You’re not using medications in the way that they’re prescribed. You take larger doses of such medications, or take the drug more often than the actual prescription calls for. Or you use the medicine in a form not prescribed, such as crushing pills and snorting them.
• You go to more than one doctor to get prescriptions for the same drug or problem and you doctor shop.
• You use meds prescribed for other people and not for you.
• You avoid telling the doctor about all the drugs that you’re taking and you lie to your doctor.
• You keep taking a drug after it’s no longer needed for a health problem and you find some other way of getting them.
• You look in other people’s medicine cabinets for drugs to take and you steal them.
• You take prescribed meds with alcohol or other drugs too.
• You need more and more of a substance to get the same effects (called “tolerance”), and you can take more before you feel an effect, and you continue to build up this tolerance.
• You feel strange when the drug eventually wears off. You may be shaky, depressed, sick to your stomach, sweat, or have headaches. You may also be tired or not hungry. In severe cases, you could even be confused, have seizures, or run a fever. These are all withdrawal effects and are indicative of addiction.
• You can’t stop yourself from using the drug, even if you want to. You are still using even though it’s making bad things happen in your life, like trouble with friends, family, work, or the law just to name a few. This is a clear sign of addiction.
These are just a few of the signs of addiction. If you live in California City and you feel that this is the case, then it is time to seek out rehabilitation. With rehabilitation, addiction can be eradicated once and for all and proper changes can be made to live a clean and sober life.
Addiction is insidious because it can be so hard to recognize. People who suffer from chemical dependency often don’t understand the full extent of their problem. Loved ones of people who suffer from addiction might not realize how bad the problem is either a... Read More...
If someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you’re probably wondering how you can get them help. You can’t force someone into rehab, but you can encourage them to choose it for themselves. Approaching your loved one from a place of caring and respect is crucial. If you’re considering an... Read More...
If you’re considering addiction treatment, you’re probably weighing the pros and cons of outpatient versus inpatient rehab. Which one should you choose? Outpatient rehab is often more affordable than inpatient treatment, and it can be very effective for patients who have a strong support network, stable... Read More...