Blythe is a city and residential community at the heart of Riverside County, in the state of California, in the United States of America. This pleasant and lovely city rests comfortably in the Palo Verde Valley of the Lower Colorado River Valley region, and it stands to this day as a key agricultural area and part of the Colorado Desert along the infamous Colorado River.
As for its history, Blythe was actually originally named after Thomas H. Blythe, a San Francisco financier, who established primary water rights to the Colorado River in this region in the year of 1877. The city was incorporated on July 21, 1916 and became officially recognized as a California city at that time. The population was 20,817 at the 2010 census as reported by the United States Census Bureau.
Blythe for a long time has been a major agricultural center, but now it is becoming a tourism destination too. Tourism is a major component of the local economy in fact and it has been since the turn of the century. Blythe is a legitimate stopover city with full services for travelers between any of the nearby regions, in particular the major cities of Los Angeles and Phoenix, since it is approximately midway between those two metropolitan areas and acts as a perfect place to stay and rest and relax for a bit. The winter months actually bring a huge number of visitors avoiding the colder climates of the north. In fact, the population of the area within 50 miles of Blythe has been known to exceed 500,000 when this occurs.
Blythe is known for more than just agriculture and tourism though. This city is a well-established town with thousands of full time residents. The city contains 24 churches, one library, two newspapers, (the Palo Verde Valley Times The Desert Independent), two museums, two radio stations, three banks, a three-screen movie theater, one funeral home and an 18,500 square foot recreation center to boot. The area is popular with campers and hikers and has six parks, seven campgrounds, seven R.V. parks, 3 boat ramps, onto the Colorado River, and an 18-hole public golf course. Everyone has the opportunity to really enjoy this town, whether they are residents or visitors.
Drug Addiction Facts and Statistics
Sadly, as has been the fate of many other California towns, this city too has accrued what may yet be the worst drug problem it has ever seen before. This is an issue that is affected all other parts of California too, but it is the smaller towns that have really been damaged the most, as drug traffickers and dealers have essentially already drained bigger cities. Blythe, like many other cities like it, has attracted the attention of such criminals and the city has suffered in recent years because of it. For some pertinent statistics on the matter:
• Deaths from car accidents are tragic and horrific to say the least, and this has been a problem in Blythe.
• What most Americans don’t know though is that 40 to 60% of all car accidents in the United States during any given year are the result of drug or alcohol abuse or a combination of the two.
• This has to be stopped now because when a substance abuser gets behind the wheel of the car he or she is not only putting his or her life at risk but he or she is also putting the lives of other innocent individuals at risk.
Rehabilitation for Blythe
There is a crisis in Blythe, and it wears the face of substance abuse, of alcoholism, of drug addiction, and of alcohol addiction. This has been an ongoing issue in Blythe that has been steadily increasing and steadily worsening for quite some time now. This is a city that began to feel the effects of substance abuse very seriously back in the 1970s, and after a brief reprieve from drug and alcohol addiction in the 1990s, the problem is back and with a vengeance and has been doing so since the turn of the century.
Given Blythe’s location, and given the fact that Blythe is a perfect city for trafficking drugs through from Mexico, it has accrued a pretty serious addiction problem. Also the size of Blythe makes it a perfect location for staging drug and alcohol abuse problems the likes of which a city of this size has never before experienced in this state. Sure enough, the problem here is worse than it is in any other city of similar size in this state.
How does one go about addressing a drug problem like this in this city then? What is the most effective way to go about it? Well, it starts with prevention and it ends with rehabilitation.
1. Blythe needs to focus on prevention. This is simply the act of taking key steps and making key moves to work towards the actually stopping of drug and alcohol abuse in any given area. This can involve anything really from increasing law enforcement in any given area to increasing education on drugs and alcohol and promoting awareness of drug and alcohol abuse in any given area too. The fact of the matter is that prevention is really, really needed in Blythe because drugs and alcohol are far too easily abused in this area.
2. The next step is that of rehabilitation. Effective rehabilitation is highly needed and highly wanted in Blythe. The truth of the matter is that addiction cannot be addressed with prevention alone. Blythe also needs to focus on curing those who are already addicted in the area to drugs and to alcohol. If the current addicts in Blythe are not rehabilitated quickly then they will just find ways to bring drugs back into the area, thusly negating prevention. With effective rehabilitation applied in tandem with prevention though, Blythe actually does stand a good chance of being able to eradicate addiction once and for all.
Addiction is insidious because it can be so hard to recognize. People who suffer from chemical dependency often don’t understand the full extent of their problem. Loved ones of people who suffer from addiction might not realize how bad the problem is either a... Read More...
If someone you love is addicted to drugs or alcohol, you’re probably wondering how you can get them help. You can’t force someone into rehab, but you can encourage them to choose it for themselves. Approaching your loved one from a place of caring and respect is crucial. If you’re considering an... Read More...
If you’re considering addiction treatment, you’re probably weighing the pros and cons of outpatient versus inpatient rehab. Which one should you choose? Outpatient rehab is often more affordable than inpatient treatment, and it can be very effective for patients who have a strong support network, stable... Read More...